English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever again!
Serves: 8 cups
- 2 cups finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 × 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour + dash water
- 500mL water
- 9 cups cooked navy beans (see note)
- 2 tsp salt
- Heat saucepan over medium heat and add carrots and celery, stirring. Turn heat to very low, add garlic and stir. Cover and cook until very soft, about 20–25 mins.
- Remove lid, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Simmer for 5 mins, then purée in blender until smooth and pour back into pan.
- Mix cornflour with a little water, and add to tomato mix.
- Add 500mL of water and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add beans and simmer for 15 mins, then add salt and stir.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge or freezer.
- Note: Navy beans are also called white beans; buy them dried, then soak overnight and cook. For this recipe you can replace them with tinned cannellini beans.
Heart of gold: In conversation with Lola Berry
Living fearlessly from the heart is at the core of Lola Berry’s existence. We sit down with the bestselling author,...
Mushroom, Tomato, Avocado & Greens on Sourdough Toast
You can still enjoy a big Sunday brekkie on a whole-food plant-based diet. It’s delicious, nutritious and will make you...
Ginger the great: spicy, warming and powerfully healing
Aromatic, tingling, spicy, pungent and warming, ginger adds bursts of flavour to your cooking, but this plant, favoured around the...