English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever again!
Serves: 8 cups
- 2 cups finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 × 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour + dash water
- 500mL water
- 9 cups cooked navy beans (see note)
- 2 tsp salt
- Heat saucepan over medium heat and add carrots and celery, stirring. Turn heat to very low, add garlic and stir. Cover and cook until very soft, about 20–25 mins.
- Remove lid, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Simmer for 5 mins, then purée in blender until smooth and pour back into pan.
- Mix cornflour with a little water, and add to tomato mix.
- Add 500mL of water and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add beans and simmer for 15 mins, then add salt and stir.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge or freezer.
- Note: Navy beans are also called white beans; buy them dried, then soak overnight and cook. For this recipe you can replace them with tinned cannellini beans.
Why fresh food is the ultimate supplement
From crisp leafy greens, tender and lean meats, to juicy citrus fruits and iron-rich grains – there is no doubt...
9 tips for longevity from the Blue Zones
Blue Zones are regions of the planet where a high proportion of people live to be over 100 years old....
In conversation with ecostore
We speak with Pablo Kraus, Managing Director of ecostore. Their ethos is to create hardworking, highly effective products for people...
Learn how to cope with criticism and take it in your stride
Criticism is an inevitable component of life, but being prepared for it, and having strategies to deal with it, can...