Beetroot-Cured Salmon with Tarragon and Dill Recipe
Although this recipe takes time, the effort is minimal and the result is beautiful! Salmon gives us a delicious dose of anti-inflammatory essential fatty acids and the earthy beetroot complements the dish.
- 400–450g fillet salmon, skin on & deboned
- 1 beetroot, peeled & grated
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup rock salt
- 1 tbsp rapadura sugar
- 25g fresh horseradish, grated
- 1½ tbsp vodka or gin (optional)
- ¼ cup dill, chopped
- ¼ cup tarragon, chopped
- Horseradish cream, to serve
- Place salmon, skin side down, in dish around same size as it, with sides of at least 10cm.
- In separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients, except herbs, and let sit for a few mins.
- Stir again (juices will have begun to leach from beetroot).
- Cover salmon with beetroot mix.
- Cover well with plastic wrap, tucking down sides to cover salmon as best you can.
- Place heavy plate or dish on top to weigh it down a little and compress mix into salmon.
- Place in fridge and allow to cure for at least 12 hours, up to 36 hours.
- Remove from fridge, take salmon out of dish and, holding over the sink, carefully rub off beetroot mix. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Place on cutting board and arrange dill and tarragon on top, gently pressing onto salmon.
- Using sharp knife, slice salmon as thinly as possible, stopping just before skin so as not to include in slices.
- Serve topped with a little horseradish cream, as is, on dense bread or as part of larger platter.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Beef Massaman Recipe
This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish...
Chocolate Nougat Bars Recipe
Looking for a nutty chocolate treat? Well, forget that pre-packaged chocolate bar and check out these dairy-, gluten- and refined-sugar-free...
Mediterranean Fish Recipe
You don’t even need to make a fish stock for this dish — the anchovies add a great depth of...