Beetroot, Maple and Pecans Salad Recipe
Beetroot is my favourite vegetable to use root to stem. The whole plant is bursting with so much nourishment and it’s super delicious when combined with this tasty dressing and the sweet protein-rich pecans.
Serves: 4 as a side
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup currants
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium beetroots, washed & leaves trimmed
- 50g (approx.) beetroot leaves & stems (the inner, younger leaves are best)
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g watercress
- 100g feta cheese
- To make dressing, combine all ingredients together in jar and set aside for at least 1 hour (you could also make this a day ahead).
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- For salad, cut beetroot into quarters and steam for 15–20 mins or until tender enough for knife or fork to slide in easily. Once cooked, allow to cool before removing skin by rubbing with a cloth or peeling.
- Finely dice stems and add to steamer to cook for 3–5 mins (or until just tender). Allow to cool fully.
- While beetroot is cooking, toss pecans with maple syrup and roast for 10 mins.
- Just before serving, assemble salad by placing all ingredients in serving bowl and tossing through dressing.
- Enjoy immediately.
Mushroom and Thyme Pasta Recipe
This pasta is one of my favourite vegetarian midweek meals. It’s quick and easy to make and really tasty. You...
Crispy Vegetable Pilaf with Chickpeas and Preserved Lemon Recipe
This is even quicker if you have the rice left over from a previous night and ready to go. Simple...
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
BBQ Tofu and Soba Noodle Rolls Recipe
This dish does require a little prep; however, it can be done the day before or in the morning. It’s...