Beetroot, Maple and Pecans Salad Recipe
Beetroot is my favourite vegetable to use root to stem. The whole plant is bursting with so much nourishment and it’s super delicious when combined with this tasty dressing and the sweet protein-rich pecans.
Serves: 4 as a side
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup currants
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium beetroots, washed & leaves trimmed
- 50g (approx.) beetroot leaves & stems (the inner, younger leaves are best)
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g watercress
- 100g feta cheese
- To make dressing, combine all ingredients together in jar and set aside for at least 1 hour (you could also make this a day ahead).
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- For salad, cut beetroot into quarters and steam for 15–20 mins or until tender enough for knife or fork to slide in easily. Once cooked, allow to cool before removing skin by rubbing with a cloth or peeling.
- Finely dice stems and add to steamer to cook for 3–5 mins (or until just tender). Allow to cool fully.
- While beetroot is cooking, toss pecans with maple syrup and roast for 10 mins.
- Just before serving, assemble salad by placing all ingredients in serving bowl and tossing through dressing.
- Enjoy immediately.
Spinach Goat’s Cheese and Pine Nut Tarts Recipe
This tart is a trusty friend when you want to take something simple but special along to a potluck feast...
20 of the best plant-based probiotics and prebiotics
You know by now that a healthy microbiome (the bacteria in your gut) is essential to good health. Everyone knows...
Mum's Ultimate Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This pie is a far cry from the basic meat and potato pie that most of us remember. The spices...
Brussels Sprout, Kale and Feta Pie Recipe
Paying homage to the humble Brussels sprout, this pie is a lovely combination of deliciousness and goodness. Packed with fibre,...