Carrot Cake Recipe
This yummy carrot cake really lives up to its name, containing no gluten, dairy or sugar. In fact, you can rest assured that with every bite you’re bringing health and vitality into your body. It embodies everything a carrot cake should be yet still contains a luscious, to-die-for, lip-licking creamy icing.
Makes: 1 cake
- 1½ cups almond flour, or gluten-free flour of choice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¾ tsp stevia powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp butter, coconut oil or light olive oil
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1½ cups (200 g) grated carrot
- Creamy Cashew Coconut Icing
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 300mL tin coconut cream
- Zest 1 lemon
- Juice ½ lemon
- 5 or 6 drops stevia, or to taste,
- Preheat oven to 170°C and grease 18cm round cake tin.
- In bowl, place almond flour, walnuts, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and stevia, and stir to combine.
- In separate bowl, place the eggs, oil and coconut milk and whisk together. Add to dry ingredients and fold through.
- Squeeze excess water out of carrots (using your hands is best) and add to bowl. Fold in lightly. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45 mins, or until cake springs back when pressed in centre. Turn onto wire rack to cool.
- For icing, place all ingredients except stevia and half of coconut cream in food processor and blitz for a few mins, slowly adding more coconut cream until consistency is like crème fraîche (not runny, but not like thickened cream). You will need to blitz until consistency is smooth.
- Add stevia at the end, blitzing little by little, until you get desired sweetness of icing. Place into coldest section of fridge to thicken, until cake has cooled. Alternatively, place in freezer for 5–10 mins to thicken quickly. When cake has cooled, spoon icing over top.
Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and...
Slow-Cooked Lamb and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Lamb is a good sources of vitamin B12 which plays a vital role in healthy nervous system and brain function....
Plant-Based Butterbean Chickpea Tagine Recipe
Hands down some of the easiest yet wow-factor dishes are those that land in a slow cooker. The slow,...
Hemp and Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This is an interesting way to use hemp. It has a clean and creamy texture and flavour.