Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake Recipe
This delicious Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake caters to many intolerances as it’s dairy-, egg- and gluten-free and vegan. It gets a lovely richness from the natural unsaturated fat sources of avocado and cold-pressed olive oil. The texture is a cross between a pudding and a very moist cake, thanks to the short baking time.
- ½ cup avocado flesh (approx. ½ large avocado)
- 150g coconut sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or powder
- 75mL cold-pressed light olive oil
- 250mL unsweetened drinking coconut milk (in carton)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- 1 tsp freshly ground coffee (or instant)
- 175g gluten-free plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp dairy-free choc chips
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 170°C. Grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
- Add avocado, coconut sugar, vanilla, olive oil and milk to blender. Blend on high for 1 min or until smooth. Add cacao, coffee, gluten-free flour, bicarb and baking powder and blend for 30 secs, until smooth. Add choc chips and pulse 2–3 times to combine. Pour into cake tin.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top of cake, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle over extra 1 tbsp coconut sugar and bake for 30 mins. It will still have a slight wobble in the centre.
- Cool in cake tin for 10 mins before turning onto rack to cool completely. Best served at room temperature.
Jamaican Chocolate Semifreddo Recipe
Looking for the ultimate vegan dessert? The flavours of delectable Jamaican chocolate shine through in this nourishing but delicious treat.
Jamaican Eggplant Jerk & Watermelon Salad Recipe
This vegan recipe uses classic Jamaican flavours that balance the sweet with the spicy. The perfect meal for family sharing...
Sweet Corn Puree With Baked Cauliflower & Spinach
This recipe transforms wholesome sweet corn into a heavenly miso-flavoured puree to match with baked cauliflower and sautéed spinach.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
These crunchy roasted chickpeas are delicious as a healthy snack, as an appetiser with olives, dips, or to add some...