Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake Recipe
This delicious Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake caters to many intolerances as it’s dairy-, egg- and gluten-free and vegan. It gets a lovely richness from the natural unsaturated fat sources of avocado and cold-pressed olive oil. The texture is a cross between a pudding and a very moist cake, thanks to the short baking time.
- ½ cup avocado flesh (approx. ½ large avocado)
- 150g coconut sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or powder
- 75mL cold-pressed light olive oil
- 250mL unsweetened drinking coconut milk (in carton)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- 1 tsp freshly ground coffee (or instant)
- 175g gluten-free plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp dairy-free choc chips
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 170°C. Grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
- Add avocado, coconut sugar, vanilla, olive oil and milk to blender. Blend on high for 1 min or until smooth. Add cacao, coffee, gluten-free flour, bicarb and baking powder and blend for 30 secs, until smooth. Add choc chips and pulse 2–3 times to combine. Pour into cake tin.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top of cake, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle over extra 1 tbsp coconut sugar and bake for 30 mins. It will still have a slight wobble in the centre.
- Cool in cake tin for 10 mins before turning onto rack to cool completely. Best served at room temperature.
Mushroom, Walnut and Thyme Pâté with Sourdough Recipe
Make a batch of pâté and place it in a jar with an airtight lid. You can use it as...
Healthy Vegan Lettuce and Chickpea Wraps Recipe
Spoon a third of a cup of the chickpea filling into the lettuce leaves and serve, as finger food. The...
Mango and Coconut Ice Blocks Recipe
These delicious ice blocks make a healthy treat for the whole family. They are a nutritious alternative to sugar-laden store-bought...