Citrus, Labneh & Walnut Syrup Cake
A citrusy delight with a honey-based syrup to keep the cake moist and lovely. The labneh adds a richness and works deliciously with the lemon, orange and honey flavours. This cake is based on a Jude Blereau recipe.
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest ½ lemon
- Zest 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 200g labneh
- 70g sugar of any kind
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl and whisk together with fork.
- Lightly whisk eggs in another bowl and add oil, labneh and sugar, whisking until relatively smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake for 30–35 mins or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While cake is cooking, prepare syrup by combining juices and cardamom in small saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat for around 7–8 mins and then remove from heat.
- Stir in honey and taste, adding more honey if desired.
- Once cake is cooked, remove from oven and poke 5–6 holes in cake with skewer.
- Pour ¾ of the syrup over cake and leave in tin for 15–20 mins to allow syrup to soak in.
- Keep remainder of syrup to serve with individual pieces as desired.
Fast, Healthy & Delicious Fish Burger
If ever there was a super-quick, super-satisfying and super-nourishing easy meal to curb the cravings of a burger on the...
Healthy Garlic & Chilli Prawn Linguine
This Garlic & Chilli Prawn Linguine recipe is effortlessly simple and is perfect for a midweek meal. Enjoy with the...
Vegan Coconut & Chickpea Curry
This vegan Coconut & Chickpea Curry recipe combines creamy coconut milk with a range of spices to create the most...