Citrus, Rosemary & Olive Oil Cake Recipe
To me, the flavours of Portugal are zingy citrus, olives, olive oil and fresh herbs. I have combined these flavours to create a dense cake, almost a torte, in the hope it takes you to Portugal.
Makes: 1 small cake or 6 cupcakes
- 100mL extra-virgin olive oil
- 125g coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100g plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- 1½ tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 150g spelt flour
- 65g almond meal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Combine oil and sugar together in mixing bowl using whisk.
- Add eggs and whisk for a good 3–4 mins, until you see some small bubbles appearing and mixture looks lighter.
- Combine yoghurt, orange juice, lemon zest, vanilla and rosemary in separate bowl, stirring to combine.
- Add to oil mixture and whisk to combine.
- Place spelt flour, almond meal, baking powder and sea salt in bowl and mix.
- Add to wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer to a 15–20cm cake tin, or cupcake pan, and bake for 35–45 mins (less for cupcakes), or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...