Coffee-Rubbed Beef Brisket Recipe
Make sure you use smoked paprika for this beef brisket dish as it adds a lovely smoky flavour that complements the coffee beautifully.
- Spice Rub
- 1 tbsp ground organic coffee beans
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2kg beef brisket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750mL tomato passata
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 red onions, cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Combine ground coffee beans, smoked paprika, dried thyme, sea salt, coconut palm sugar and ground cumin in bowl and mix together. Rub spice mix into beef brisket on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in large cast-iron pot and add beef brisket. Sear brisket on both sides for 2 mins.
- Remove brisket from pot and add tomato passata, water, red wine and vinegar. Using wooden spoon, scrape spice mix from bottom of pan and mix through passata mixture.
- Add onion and garlic cloves and place brisket back in pot. Cook for 4 hours, making sure to turn brisket halfway through to allow it to cook evenly.
- Once cooked, remove brisket from pot, shred meat and add meat back to pot with sauce. Or, alternatively, keep brisket whole, remove it from pot and slice it into big pieces.
- Serve on a serving platter topped with sauce from pot.
Bubble and Squeak Recipe
For me, English food is comfort food, especially bubble and squeak. This dish takes me back to my childhood —...
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
Which dairy is the better choice: full or reduced fat?
It’s easy to get hung up on fat content when it comes to dairy products, especially if you’re watching your...
Oven-Baked Pumpkin and Corn Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
This hearty risotto is a great source of dietary fibre. Brown rice contains around seven times more fibre than white...