Colombian-Style Lentil Soup Recipe
For so few ingredients, this soup packs a flavour punch! Try to buy the chorizo from a butcher, as a good-quality sausage will have lots of smokiness and spices, which will give the soup even more depth.
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages (not cured), thickly sliced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ cups dried green lentils
- Salt & pepper
- 1 potato, diced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, to garnish
- Cook chorizo slices in large stock-pot for 3-4 mins on high heat until golden on both sides. You don't need to add oil, as it will leach out while cooking.
- Remove chorizo to plate with slotted spoon, leaving oil in pot. Turn heat down to medium. Add onion, garlic, spring onion, carrot and tomato and cook for 10 mins until tomato softens and breaks down to form thick sauce.
- Add cumin and lentils and season with salt and pepper. Add 6 cups water then cover and simmer for 45 mins to 1 hour, until lentils are tender. Top up with a little water occasionally if it becomes dry.
- Add potato and chorizo slices and cook for 15 mins more, uncovered, until potato is tender.
- Serve in bowls topped with coriander.
Did you know that Mauritian food is derived from so many other cultures including France, Africa, India and China? There...
Mauritian Tamarind & Apple Chutney
Tamarind is a tropical tree that produces pods with juicy sweet-sour tasting fruit. Tamarind contains beneficial polyphenols that have an...
Mauritian Fish Rougaille
Try this delicious Mauritian-inspired fish dish at home. It's incredibly easy to whip together, and abundant in flavour with the...
Mushroom, Tomato, Avocado & Greens on Sourdough Toast
You can still enjoy a big Sunday brekkie on a whole-food plant-based diet. It’s delicious, nutritious and will make you...