Dukkha Labneh Balls
Labneh is a probiotic-rich food popular in Middle Eastern cuisine. Labneh, which is made from strained yoghurt, has a tangy taste with a thick creamy texture similar to cream cheese. Probiotics are dietary factors that promote the growth of beneficial bacteria such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus in the human gut. A healthy balance of bacteria is vital to our health and wellbeing. Gut bacteria play a major role in our digestive health, immune function, emotional health, and production of vitamin B12 and K.
- 1½ cups full-fat Greek yoghurt
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup almonds or hazelnuts
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Pinch pepper
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- To make labneh, Place fine-mesh sieve over medium-size bowl and line with cheesecloth or muslin. Pour yoghurt into sieve and place in fridge overnight.
- Dry-toast seeds, nuts, fennel, coriander and cumin in frying pan until fragrant and lightly golden. Toast sesame seeds separately as they can burn easily.
- Once cooled place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until coarse consistency. Be careful not to over-process. Store leftovers in airtight container.
- When labneh is ready discard whey from bowl and roll into 2.5cm balls.
- Place dukkah in small bowl and roll each ball in dukkah. Place balls on serving dish and serve with crackers or crusty bread.
How you eat contributes significantly to your carbon footprint — find out how to adopt a low-carbon diet
How you eat contributes significantly to your carbon footprint. Yet a truly “low carbon” diet is complex to achieve. Discover...
Get to know David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl from Green Kitchen Stories
David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl are the Scandinavian duo at the helm of Green Kitchen Stories. Their simple, healthy and...
Vegan Fysh Sauce — Niulife
With the same great taste, this plant-powered seasoning is a deliciously healthy alternative to fish sauce.
Toasted macadamia muesli with cranberry
Recently awarded a Gold Medal at the Royal Hobart Fine Food Show, this gourmet muesli is preservative-free and baked in...