Jamaican Eggplant Jerk & Watermelon Salad Recipe
Makes: 8 pieces
- Eggplant Jerk
- 2 large eggplants
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric or 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 long fresh red chill, chopped
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Watermelon Salad
- ½ watermelon, skin removed
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- Juice 1 lime
- Heat an oven to 180°C. Slice the eggplant into 5cm thick rounds, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 mins or until soft.
- Meanwhile, place all the other eggplant jerk ingredients in a blender and blend to a sauce, then place in a large bowl.
- Heat a grill plate or barbecue, then remove the eggplant from the oven and place the eggplant pieces in the sauce bowl. Once covered, remove the eggplant pieces and place them on the grill. Cook until char lines are formed on both sides.
- Cut the watermelon into bite size pieces, roughly chop the mint. Place both into a bowl, squeeze over the lime juice and mix well.
- To serve, slice the eggplant into strips and place on a board. Serve the remaining sauce from the eggplant and the watermelon in separate bowls. Place all on a table and let everyone help themselves.
Ceres Organics — Young Jackfruit
Inside this can you’ll find a jackfruit of all trades. It’s a fruit with the mystic ability of a culinary...
Quinoa Rainbow Salad Recipe
This rainbow salad is packed with vitamins, antioxidants and, of course, plenty of flavour for a nutritious lunch that'll nourish...
Pesto, Asparagus & Tomato Risotto Recipe
This green vegan risotto is a great way to enjoy an interesting meal that is a satisfying and nutritious, restaurant-quality...
Gluten-free Smashed Avocado Toast Topped with Roast Veggies Recipe
This deliciously healthy gluten-free take on smashed avo is packed with healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied from...