Ethiopian Lentil Stew
The key to this recipe is making sure you use berbere spice mix. This can be difficult to track down in the shops so use my recipe to make your own berbere spice mix.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 knob ginger, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp berbere spice mix
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 1½ cup water (or more if needed)
- Heat butter and olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, carrot, garlic, ginger and sea salt. Cook for 5 mins stirring occasionally or until onions have begun to caramelise.
- Add berbere spice mix, cumin, paprika and tomato paste and cook for further 3 mins. Stir constantly to prevent spices from burning and sticking to pan. Add lentils and water, stir until all combined, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 20 mins.
- Serve with cooked rice and Coriander Salsa.
Duba is the Ethiopian word for pumpkin. This pumpkin stew is such a delicious, bold and fragrant dish. It’s a...
Ethiopian Lamb & Spinach Curry
You can serve this healthy and delicious curry with cashew nuts, leftover cold vegies, pickled carrot, yoghurt or fresh coriander.
Two-minute Teff Bread
This “cheat” teff bread is basically a bready pancake you could cook in a skillet in minutes and have with...
Azifa Green Lentil Salad
If you’ve ever found lentils to be tough on your tummy, don’t despair — just give them a good soak...