Fish and Fennel Broth Recipe
Fish broths are incredibly rich in minerals and trace elements such as iodine, which is vital for thyroid function. Wonderful for autoimmune and leaky gut conditions, this broth is super-tasty on its own or makes a comforting addition to soups and stews.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, including the green bits, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Filtered water, to cover
- 3 fish carcasses from non-oily fish such as barramundi, snapper or kingfish
- 4–5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 80mL apple-cider vinegar
- Warm oil in large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add vegetables and garlic, tossing to coat, then cover with filtered water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to lowest possible setting and simmer for 30 mins, checking from time to time and adding a little more filtered water if necessary.
- Add fish bones and bring to boil, then turn heat down and skim off any foam that collects on top.
- Add herbs, peppercorns and vinegar. Cover and simmer over very low heat for another 1–2 hours.
- Leave to cool slightly, then gently remove large ingredients with tongs, taking care to pick out any fine bones.
- Strain broth into airtight containers. Will keep in fridge for up to 4 days, or in freezer for up to 3 months.
Wakame Cauliflower Fish & Chips Recipe
This gluten-free dish gives a Japanese twist to a much-loved English favourite, fish and chips, offering a fun and delicious...
Smoked Salmon with Zucchini Pasta Recipe
This gluten-free zucchini pasta recipe is perfect for summer days when you're craving pasta without that heavy carb feeling.
Organic Chickpea Fusilli — Explore Cuisine
With an appetizing Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flair, Explore Cuisine’s Chickpea Fusilli is a healthy choice that will please the...
Organic Black Rice Fusilli — Explore Cuisine
The blended organic red, brown and black rice make this pasta truly exceptional and “one-of-a-kind”. The rice is cultivated in...