Fruit Crumble Muesli Bar Recipe
Being nut-free, this muesli bar is a versatile, delicious, nourishing addition to your school lunchbox. It freezes well also, so it’s great to batch-bake. Alternatively, serve it warm with cream or yoghurt for a luscious dessert.
- 125g butter or coconut oil, cubed
- 170g rice-malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 120g mixed seeds (eg sunflower seeds & pepitas)
- 120g wholemeal spelt flour
- 200g rolled oats or quinoa flakes (or mixture of both)
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh fruit, finely diced or sliced (eg fresh plum, apricot, nectarine, peach, berries, apple, pear and/or cherry)
- 2 tbsp rice-malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In small saucepan melt butter and syrup or honey, mixing to combine. Add bicarb and stir well.
- Optionally, pulse seeds in food processor to break up and make a finer slice. Mix seeds, flour, oats and/or quinoa, coconut and cinnamon in bowl. Add butter–syrup mix and stir to combine.
- Line 27×18cm tin with baking paper. Press ⅔ of mixture into base of tin firmly with wet hands and bake for 10 mins. Set aside remaining mixture for crumble topping.
- While base is baking, put all filling ingredients into pan used for first stage. Simmer for 5 mins or so until fruit just starts to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Once base is cooked, top with fruit mixture, and with wet hands top with remainder of crumble mix.
- Bake for approx. 20 mins or until just golden brown.
- Allow to cool in pan, refrigerate until firm and then cut into slices.
- Store in airtight jar or container in fridge or freezer. Frozen slices can be packed in school lunchboxes.
Chickpea Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Science confirms that diets containing a diverse range of vegetables produce healthier gut bacteria. So while eating vegetables is important,...
Split Pea, Smoked Tofu and Barley Soup Recipe
When I was a kid, my mum made the best pea and ham soup. Now that I’m vegan I’ve created...
Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and...
Slow-Cooked Lamb and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Lamb is a good sources of vitamin B12 which plays a vital role in healthy nervous system and brain function....