Beef Massaman Recipe
Many studies have confirmed the benefits of eating curry for supporting brain health and memory, and reducing cognitive decline. This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish your body (and delight your taste buds). Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients — it’s actually a very quick and easy meal to prepare and the end result is phenomenally delicious.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3–4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 whole red chilli
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 400mL coconut milk
- 250mL chicken broth or stock
- 100mL water
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Start with making sauce. In food processor, add garlic, ginger, chilli and cardamom pods. Process to chop ingredients.
- Add in all spices, fish sauce, salt, pepper, coconut sugar, coconut milk, broth or stock and water. Blend well.
- 1kg (approx.) grass-fed chuck steak, diced into 4–5cm pieces
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 stems celery, diced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 star anise
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 small potatoes, peeled & diced
- 4–5 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only, chopped
- Place beef, onion, celery, kaffir lime, cinnamon quills and star anise in large ovenproof dish with lid.
- Pour over curry sauce and mix well.
- Cook for 3 hours, lid on.
- After 3 hours, remove from oven and add in carrots and potato and pop back in oven with lid on for another 30 mins.
- When ready to eat, mix in kale and lime juice. Allow to rest for 5 mins and serve with coriander leaves.
Spinach Goat’s Cheese and Pine Nut Tarts Recipe
This tart is a trusty friend when you want to take something simple but special along to a potluck feast...
20 of the best plant-based probiotics and prebiotics
You know by now that a healthy microbiome (the bacteria in your gut) is essential to good health. Everyone knows...
Mum's Ultimate Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This pie is a far cry from the basic meat and potato pie that most of us remember. The spices...
Brussels Sprout, Kale and Feta Pie Recipe
Paying homage to the humble Brussels sprout, this pie is a lovely combination of deliciousness and goodness. Packed with fibre,...