Beef Massaman Recipe
Many studies have confirmed the benefits of eating curry for supporting brain health and memory, and reducing cognitive decline. This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish your body (and delight your taste buds). Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients — it’s actually a very quick and easy meal to prepare and the end result is phenomenally delicious.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3–4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 whole red chilli
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 400mL coconut milk
- 250mL chicken broth or stock
- 100mL water
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Start with making sauce. In food processor, add garlic, ginger, chilli and cardamom pods. Process to chop ingredients.
- Add in all spices, fish sauce, salt, pepper, coconut sugar, coconut milk, broth or stock and water. Blend well.
- 1kg (approx.) grass-fed chuck steak, diced into 4–5cm pieces
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 stems celery, diced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 star anise
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 small potatoes, peeled & diced
- 4–5 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only, chopped
- Place beef, onion, celery, kaffir lime, cinnamon quills and star anise in large ovenproof dish with lid.
- Pour over curry sauce and mix well.
- Cook for 3 hours, lid on.
- After 3 hours, remove from oven and add in carrots and potato and pop back in oven with lid on for another 30 mins.
- When ready to eat, mix in kale and lime juice. Allow to rest for 5 mins and serve with coriander leaves.
Mushroom and Thyme Pasta Recipe
This pasta is one of my favourite vegetarian midweek meals. It’s quick and easy to make and really tasty. You...
Crispy Vegetable Pilaf with Chickpeas and Preserved Lemon Recipe
This is even quicker if you have the rice left over from a previous night and ready to go. Simple...
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
BBQ Tofu and Soba Noodle Rolls Recipe
This dish does require a little prep; however, it can be done the day before or in the morning. It’s...