Lamb Pilau Recipe
This super-fragrant pilau (also known as pilaf) is the perfect dish for a cosy night in. The combination of tender lamb studded with spices, and rice is just delicious. I love adding dried apricots to this dish but it’s equally lovely with raisins. Add pine nuts for an extra bit of crunch and texture to the dish.
- 75g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 500g lamb, diced
- 250g uncooked basmati rice
- 500mL vegetable stock
- ½ cup dried apricots
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Small bunch fresh parsley or mint leaves
- Toast pine nuts slightly in dry saucepan over low–medium heat. Leave to cool.
- In same pan, heat olive oil on medium heat then add onion and cook for a few mins until soft. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon and cook for another 2 mins until fragrant.
- Add lamb and turn heat to medium–high so it cooks quickly and is seared on outside.
- Add rice and cook for 1 min, stirring frequently. Add vegetable stock and apricots and season to taste.
- Turn heat down, cover and simmer for 10–12 mins until the rice is tender and most liquid has been absorbed. Add more water if mixture looks dry.
- Finish with toasted pine nuts and parsley and serve immediately.
Vegetarian Cypriot Sausage Recipe
If you’ve followed my work for a while you’ll know I love the challenge of a meat for vego swap...
Lentils and Greens with a Lemony Vinaigrette Recipe
This salad is the perfect main or side dish. It’s loaded with beautiful iron-boosting ingredients like lentils, almonds and greens,...
Iron-rich (No) Meatballs with Zucchini Pasta Recipe
(No) meat, no worries! Iron, in the form of non-haem iron, can be found in plant-based foods too so don’t...
Super Bean Mexi Salad Recipe
High on our home menu repertoire is Mexican. We try mixing and matching different ingredients with Mexican spice and flavours...