Lemony Smoked Salmon, Spinach and Caper Berry Quiche Recipe
This lemony smoked salmon quiche is the perfect picnic food because it can be pre-made and is just as delicious cold as it is it hot. Plus, it doesn’t require cutlery, so just portion this nourishing quiche and enjoy!
- 1¾ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 60g chilled butter or ghee, cut into cubes
- Good pinch sea salt
- 50–60mL chilled water
- 5 large free-range or organic eggs
- 120mL milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Good grind black pepper
- Zest 1 lemon
- Handful baby spinach, finely chopped
- Small red onion, peeled, halved & finely sliced
- ½ fillet hot smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp caper berries
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In food processor, mix flour, butter and sea salt until crumb forms. Gradually add water until pastry comes together into firm dough (that holds together but doesn’t stick to your fingers). If weather is warm, place in fridge for 10 mins before rolling out.
- Grease spring-form quiche tin and roll pastry out onto piece of baking paper to cover base and sides of tin. Invert into tin and trim sides and prick base 4 or 5 times with fork. With baking paper on top, fill with pastry weights and blind bake for 15 mins on bottom shelf of oven.
- To make filling, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and lemon zest until frothy.
- Once pastry is ready, remove baking paper and weights and spread spinach and red onion evenly over base. Then arrange pieces of smoked salmon over base and scatter over caper berries and parmesan.
- Pour over egg mixture, taking care not to over-fill, and bake for 25–30 mins or until centre is just set firm.
Are you ready to join the coconut craze?
You see them everywhere — cracked open and ready to drink at fresh food markets and cold-pressed into jars at...
Tahini Cumin Dressing Recipe
This is my Middle-Eastern-inspired dressing which I use on anything from salads to roasted vegetables; it’s especially good on roasted...
An in-depth look at leafy greens and their health benefits
You’ve heard about the superfood powers of chia and blueberries but, lurking in the vegetable aisle of the supermarket and...
Cranberry and Oat Cookies Recipe
Cranberries are rich in protective antioxidants, vitamin A and K — all-important nutrients needed to promote healthy eyes and good...