Mexican Chicken and Capsicum Recipe
A lovely, versatile recipe that is mild enough for kids but interesting enough for the biggies. Use it as a taco or tortilla filling, in a wrap for lunch, or paired with your favourite cooked grain and a side of guacamole and yoghurt.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into 1–1½cm pieces
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Juice ½ lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, sliced
- 1 small green or yellow capsicum, sliced
- Place chicken slices in bowl. Cover with marinade and stir to coat well. Place in fridge to marinate while you prepare capsicum. (You can prepare chicken earlier and leave it marinating in fridge for up to a day).
- Add onion to frypan over medium heat with oil.
- Sauté until soft, then add garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Add capsicum and cook for a couple of mins, then add in chicken.
- Cook for a few mins, then turn each piece over to ensure you have browned both sides and chicken is cooked to your liking — this should only take a few mins.
- Serve with rice, guacamole and yoghurt alongside Mexican bean mix or as filling for tacos or tortillas.
How to achieve greater gut health
There's a link between gut health, hormones, skin and weight. Here's how you can work on promoting a healthy gut...
Can garlic and onion reduce risk of colorectal cancer?
Consumption of allium vegetables -- which include garlic, leeks, and onions -- was linked with a reduced risk of in...
Wholegrains prevent against type 2 diabetes
All types of whole grains, whether it is rye, oats or wheat, offer protection against developing type 2 diabetes.
Eating eggs reduces cardiovascular disease
People who consume an egg a day could significantly reduce their risk of cardiovascular diseases.