Mini Black Forest Cakes Recipe
This is a healthy twist on the traditional black forest cake. We’ve made them into bite-size pieces, but you can make it as one big cake if you prefer.
Makes: 8 mini cakes
- Chocolate Cake
- 85g blanched almond meal
- 50g tapioca flour
- 145g coconut palm sugar
- 40g coconut flour
- 35g cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 75g olive oil
- 150mL almond milk
- Cream Filling
- 200g plain coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 50g frozen cherries, defrosted
- 50g dark chocolate buttons
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line brownie tray.
- Add almond meal, tapioca flour, coconut palm sugar, coconut flour, cacao powder and baking powder to bowl and mix until combined. Add eggs, olive oil and almond milk and mix to smooth batter. Pour mixture into brownie tray and bake for 20 mins.
- While cake is baking, prepare cream filling. Add coconut yoghurt, cacao powder and honey to bowl and mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix as it will go very stiff. Place in fridge until ready to assemble cakes.
- Allow chocolate cake to cool completely. Then cut cake into equal square pieces — the size is up to you. I’ve done smaller squares that allow 2 bites.
- Place half the squares on serving platter and top with 1 tsp cream mixture and a cherry. Then top with another square of cake. Top with another tsp cream mixture and another cherry. Press 3 dark chocolate buttons into cream of each cake. Serve dusted with cacao powder.
- These will keep in the fridge for 4 days — if they last that long!
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland and the important role it plays in...
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan.
Sponsor Recipes: Magimix share three delicious recipes for winter
Discover the delicious creations you can make with Magimix plus three delicious recipes!
Sponsor Recipes: Pearl River Bridge share four healthy winter dishes
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce.