Mini Black Forest Cakes Recipe
This is a healthy twist on the traditional black forest cake. We’ve made them into bite-size pieces, but you can make it as one big cake if you prefer.
Makes: 8 mini cakes
- Chocolate Cake
- 85g blanched almond meal
- 50g tapioca flour
- 145g coconut palm sugar
- 40g coconut flour
- 35g cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 75g olive oil
- 150mL almond milk
- Cream Filling
- 200g plain coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 50g frozen cherries, defrosted
- 50g dark chocolate buttons
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line brownie tray.
- Add almond meal, tapioca flour, coconut palm sugar, coconut flour, cacao powder and baking powder to bowl and mix until combined. Add eggs, olive oil and almond milk and mix to smooth batter. Pour mixture into brownie tray and bake for 20 mins.
- While cake is baking, prepare cream filling. Add coconut yoghurt, cacao powder and honey to bowl and mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix as it will go very stiff. Place in fridge until ready to assemble cakes.
- Allow chocolate cake to cool completely. Then cut cake into equal square pieces — the size is up to you. I’ve done smaller squares that allow 2 bites.
- Place half the squares on serving platter and top with 1 tsp cream mixture and a cherry. Then top with another square of cake. Top with another tsp cream mixture and another cherry. Press 3 dark chocolate buttons into cream of each cake. Serve dusted with cacao powder.
- These will keep in the fridge for 4 days — if they last that long!
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Quinoa-Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
The combination of protein from the quinoa, carbohydrate via the vegetables and essential fats from the walnuts makes this one...
Beef Massaman Recipe
This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish...
Seafood Chowder Recipe
This Seafood Chowder Recipe is the perfect one-pot wonder for mid-week meals. It’s packed with sweet potato, which is high...
Gluten-free Ginger Cookies Recipe
These delicious gluten-free ginger cookies are a healthy alternative to sugar-laden store-bought varieties. Try them out for morning tea.