Moroccan Lamb Stew with Fruity Couscous Recipe
My favourite thing about visiting Morocco is discovering all the different ways sweet and savoury flavours can be combined into one delicious stew. Oh, and feasting for hours at a time, on multiple courses! This type of meal is perfect for a lazy lunch when you’ve got plenty of time to digest the meat before bedtime. Make it paleo/gluten-free by substituting the couscous with cauliflower “rice”, but still flavour it with the dried fruit to get that sweet/savoury hit.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 500g diced lamb leg or shoulder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 medjool dates, pitted & diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped preserved lemon rind
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 10 pitted green olives
- Heat ghee in large saucepan with lid. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Turn heat up to high and add diced lamb. Brown on all sides for 5 mins then sprinkle in the cinnamon, paprika, cumin, coriander and chilli. Season with salt and black pepper and stir to coat the meat.
- Add tomato, dates, carrot, preserved lemon and 1 cup cold water. Stir to combine and lower heat to medium–low.
- Cover and cook for 45 mins to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until lamb is very tender. Then add diced pumpkin and olives and cook, covered, for further 15 mins until pumpkin is tender. Take off heat and let sit while you make couscous (recipe below).
- 2 cups dry couscous
- 6 medjool dates, pitted & diced
- 10 dried apricots (sulphite-free), diced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- Place dry couscous in large bowl. Add chopped dates, apricot, lemon and orange zest and ghee. Pour over 2 cups boiling water and cover with tea towel. Leave for 5 mins to absorb water. Fluff with fork and mix in chopped mint. Serve with lamb stew.
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland and the important role it plays in...
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan.
Sponsor Recipes: Magimix share three delicious recipes for winter
Discover the delicious creations you can make with Magimix plus three delicious recipes!
Sponsor Recipes: Pearl River Bridge share four healthy winter dishes
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce.