Moroccan Lamb Stew with Fruity Couscous Recipe
My favourite thing about visiting Morocco is discovering all the different ways sweet and savoury flavours can be combined into one delicious stew. Oh, and feasting for hours at a time, on multiple courses! This type of meal is perfect for a lazy lunch when you’ve got plenty of time to digest the meat before bedtime. Make it paleo/gluten-free by substituting the couscous with cauliflower “rice”, but still flavour it with the dried fruit to get that sweet/savoury hit.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 500g diced lamb leg or shoulder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 medjool dates, pitted & diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped preserved lemon rind
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 10 pitted green olives
- Heat ghee in large saucepan with lid. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Turn heat up to high and add diced lamb. Brown on all sides for 5 mins then sprinkle in the cinnamon, paprika, cumin, coriander and chilli. Season with salt and black pepper and stir to coat the meat.
- Add tomato, dates, carrot, preserved lemon and 1 cup cold water. Stir to combine and lower heat to medium–low.
- Cover and cook for 45 mins to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until lamb is very tender. Then add diced pumpkin and olives and cook, covered, for further 15 mins until pumpkin is tender. Take off heat and let sit while you make couscous (recipe below).
- 2 cups dry couscous
- 6 medjool dates, pitted & diced
- 10 dried apricots (sulphite-free), diced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- Place dry couscous in large bowl. Add chopped dates, apricot, lemon and orange zest and ghee. Pour over 2 cups boiling water and cover with tea towel. Leave for 5 mins to absorb water. Fluff with fork and mix in chopped mint. Serve with lamb stew.
4 vegan treats the whole family will love
Made using Ulu Hye creamy plant-based alternatives, these vegan treats are set to become your go-to for family gatherings —...
Get to know David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl from Green Kitchen Stories
David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl are the Scandinavian duo at the helm of Green Kitchen Stories. Their simple, healthy and...
Atkins Smooth Chocolate Ready to Drink
The perfect shake when watching your carb intake. Made with gluten-free ingredients and with less than one gram of sugar,...
Glow Teabag Tin - Byron Bay Tea Company
Beauty begins on the inside, which makes GLOW tea the perfect primer.