Nourishing Breakfast Bowl Recipe
This breakfast bowl reminds me of my time in Copenhagen, visiting the Torvehallerne KBH market with its vibrant ingredients, local produce, gourmet foods, beverages and desserts! Loaded with greens, wholesome brown rice, gorgeous orange sweet potato, satiating eggs and a super-tasty tahini-based dressing, this is a great recipe for preparing food mindfully and enjoying the bounty of fresh ingredients.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted plus extra as needed
- 2 heaped tbsp blanched almonds
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 1 bunch kale, stems & spines removed, roughly chopped
- Handful baby English spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- ½ cucumber, spiralised into noodles
- 1 avocado, peeled & sliced
- 2 sheets nori, torn, or handful dried nori strips
- Toasted sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- ¼ cup tahini
60mL filtered water
- 60mL lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
- Few drops liquid Stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1½ tsp tamari or coconut aminos
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground ginger
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a jar, seal tightly and shake until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Place the sweet potato in a roasting tin, drizzle over half the coconut oil and bake for 10–15 mins, until cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan over medium heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the garlic and spring onions for 1–2 mins. Add the beans and kale, and stir-fry for 3–4 mins, until cooked through.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1–2 mins, until wilted. Move the greens to one side of the pan and fry the eggs to your liking, adding a little more oil if needed.
- In two wide shallow bowls, arrange the brown rice, spiralised cucumber, cooked greens and avocado, then top with the almonds, sweet potato, nori and a fried egg. Drizzle the dressing over and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using, and pepper.
Crunchy Teriyaki Tofu Nourish Bowl Recipe
Still learning to love plant-based food? This delicious teriyaki tofu bowl is exactly what you need — even the greatest...
Vegan Buddha Bowl Recipe
A delicious Lebanese dip and bread presented in a simple traditional Balinese-style buddha bowl with an amazing tempeh manis creates...
Vegan banana berry muffins
These wholefood, plant-based vegan muffins are almost too good to be true. We can't get enough of these banana- and...