One-Pot Greek Oregano Chicken with Risoni Recipe
I remember eating a similar dish at a local taverna in Sifnos, a Greek island, many moons ago. There’s something about the combination of chicken with lemon, thyme and oregano that’s simple yet so delicious. Try to use lemon thyme if it’s available to really bring out the flavour. I like cooking the lemons to accentuate their natural juices, but they can also be used at room temperature if you prefer.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 lemons, halved
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups uncooked risoni
- 50g Kalamata olives, pitted
- Sprig lemon thyme
- In medium-sized bowl, whisk together half of oil, garlic and oregano then add chicken and stir until well coated. Leave to marinate in fridge for 1–2 hours if time permits.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using flame-proof dish, cook lemons cut-side down until golden, then take off heat.
- Using same dish, heat remaining oil over medium heat, then add chicken and cook for approx. 4 mins each side until browned and slightly crisp. Season well with salt and pepper then bake for 20 mins.
- Pour stock and wine over chicken then add risoni into liquid. Add lemons to pan and cook for another 10–15 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Rest for 5 mins then top with olives and lemon thyme. Serve immediately.
Okra, Haloumi & Bulgur Salad Recipe
The combination of pan-fried okra, haloumi, pomegranate and fresh herbs makes this salad a simple weekday dish. Okra often has...
Okra with Kefir Lime, Coconut Rice and Sambal Recipe
I absolutely love the combination of the okra with this incredible rice! This is a very simple method of cooking...
Vegetable Tagine Recipe
This recipe is one of my all-time favourites for using up leftover vegetables. It can be made in a tagine...
Lamb Pilau Recipe
This super-fragrant pilau (also known as pilaf) is the perfect dish for a cosy night in. The combination of tender...