This is my healthy take on a Greek classic pastitsio. Instead of a rich cheesy sauce, it’s topped with a much lighter blend of yoghurt, tahini and parmesan. It can also be made with beef mince if you prefer, but I personally prefer to use lamb.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 600g lamb mince
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 60mL red wine
- 700g passata
- 125mL chicken-bone broth or stock
- 1 zucchini, diced into 1cm pieces
- 2 carrots, diced into 1cm pieces
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 250g rice & quinoa penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach
1 clove garlic
- 2 cups full-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
1 tsp sea salt
¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped, to serve
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Sauté for couple of mins.
- Add garlic and lamb mince, and sauté to brown mince. Add cinnamon, mixed spice, bay leaf and oregano and cook for 1 min until fragrant.
- Turn heat up high and add red wine — it should sizzle and reduce quickly.
- Reduce heat and add tomato passata, broth, zucchini, carrots and seasoning. Cover and simmer with lid ajar for 15–20 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- While sauce is simmering, boil penne. Once almost cooked, drain and rinse and mix with sauce and baby spinach. Place into ovenproof serving dish.
- In food processor, grate cheese and set aside.
- Blend garlic, yoghurt, tahini, sea salt, pepper and egg. Pour over sauce/pasta mix, and top with grated parmesan and pine nuts.
- Bake for 10–15 mins or until cheese is melted and top browned. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with green, leafy salad.
Peanut Butter Hemp Smoothie Recipe
By adding hemp seeds to your smoothies, you not only get a lovely mild nutty flavour but they are rich...
Indian Spiced Roast Chook with Biryani Hemp Stuffing and Roasted Vegetables Recipe
A foolproof way to cook the perfect roast chicken, loaded with nutrient-dense vegies and a delicious biryani stuffing with a...
Rhubarb and Apple Deconstructed Crumble Recipe
Each component of this is delicious in its own right, but combined they make a force to be reckoned with....
Fruit Crumble Muesli Bar Recipe
Being nut-free, this muesli bar is a versatile, delicious, nourishing addition to your school lunchbox. It freezes well also, so...