Pumpkin, Basil and Buckwheat Risotto Recipe
The traditional rice-based risotto has been given a wholesome twist in this recipe. The buckwheat gives a divine nuttiness to the dish and complements the sweetness of roast pumpkin beautifully.
- 600g Jap pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
- ¼ bunch basil, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
- 2 cups buckwheat groats
- 200g frozen or fresh spinach
- 1–1¼L vegetable stock
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC and line large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place pumpkin pieces on tray, toss with about 2 tbsp olive oil, season and bake for 30 mins.
- While pumpkin is cooking, make risotto by heating remaining olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and basil stalks and cook for 3–4 mins, then add buckwheat and cook, stirring frequently, for further 5–6 mins.
- Reduce heat to low, add spinach and stock one cup at a time to buckwheat.
- Allow each cup to absorb before adding next cup and stir frequently.
- Once last cup of stock is poured into buckwheat, add pumpkin and stir gently, leaving just a touch of liquid remaining in risotto from final cup of stock.
- Tear basil leaves into risotto, season with sea salt and black pepper and serve.
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...
Sweet Spiced Carrot Loaf with Maple and Peanut Frosting
As a beginner baker I truly believe simple recipes like loaves are a great introduction to the kitchen. You can...