Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always have tinned tomatoes and beans in the cupboard so this dish can be thrown together at a moment’s notice.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely diced
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 400g tin kidney beans or black beans, rinsed & strained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp Mexican spice mix (available in spice section of supermarkets)
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- 300g (approx.) good-quality corn or tortilla chips
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup natural or coconut yoghurt
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In medium-sized pot, place olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, kidney or black beans, carrot, celery and Mexican spice mix. Season to taste and simmer for 15 mins.
- While that simmers, put corn chips into a serving dish and top with the grated cheese. Place in oven for 10–15 mins until cheese has melted.
- Mash avocado then mix in natural or coconut yoghurt, lime juice, sea salt and pepper.
- By now chilli should be cooked and cheese melted over corn chips.
- Serve buffet style with leafy green salad dressed with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...