Raspberry and Star Anise Friands Recipe
Friands are a cross between a cupcake and a muffin in texture and are usually made with almond flour. I was inspired to use ground star anise as in one of Yotam Ottolenghi’s wonderful recipes but have changed it a bit to make it gluten-free and less sweet. The ghee in this recipe makes these friands lactose-free and also makes them incredible nourishing. You can, of course, use butter instead, but the ghee lends a beautiful caramel quality.
- 120g almond meal
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 1½ tsp ground star anise
- Small pinch salt
- 150g coconut sugar
- 150g egg whites (from approx. 4 eggs)
- 100g ghee, melted
- Zest 1 lemon
- ½ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen, halved
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Sift first four ingredients together into bowl.
- Add coconut sugar to blender and blitz to make fine powder. Add coconut sugar to dry mix and stir to combine.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg whites for a few secs to froth them up a little and add to mix.
- Add ghee (as long as it’s cool or you will cook the eggs) and lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Divide mixture into greased muffin tray, or into patty pans, filling each to around two-thirds the way up the side. Place 3 or 4 halved raspberries into each friand.
- Bake for 18–20 mins or until golden and skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 mins in tin before transferring to rack to cool completely. These are best eaten the day of baking but will keep for 3–4 days.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Buckwheat Kasha Recipe
Kasha is a traditional Russian dish that can be made from any kind of grain. In this recipe, I’ve used...
Buckwheat Blinis Recipe
Blinis are essentially a little pancake that can be served with a savoury or sweet topping. You will love these...
Beetroot, Potato and Lentil Soup Recipe
This Healthy Vegan and Gluten-Free Beetroot, Potato and Lentil Soup Recipe is very similar to a borscht soup, but with...
Salad of Zucchini, Sugar Snap Peas and Brown Lentils with Balsamic and Dijon Vinaigrette Recipe
This Salad of Zucchini, Peas and Lentils with Dijon Vinaigrette uses the beautiful ingredient red cabbage, a staple in the...