Rich Chocolate Cream Tarts Recipe
These tarts are really quite simple to make despite looking very fancy. The gluten-free pastry creates a delicious, biscuity base to house the fruit and decadent cashew cream.
- Chocolate Cashew Cream
- 1 cup whole raw cashews, soaked for 3–4 hours or overnight & drained
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ¼ cup maple syrup or rice-malt syrup
- 2–3 tbsp cacao powder (the more you add, the richer the chocolate flavour)
- Chocolate Pastry
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 280g organic buckwheat flour
- Approx. ½ cup coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 large free-range or organic egg
- 1 cup fruit of choice such as fresh berries or cherries
- Shaved dark chocolate, to garnish (optional)
- To make chocolate cream, blend soaked cashews with powerful food processor or blender to coarse texture.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth cream is formed (you may need to scrape sides).
- Set aside in fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 1 large or 4 small spring-form tart tins.
- In food processor, combine butter and buckwheat flour until crumb-like texture forms.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until dough forms a disc.
- Wrap dough in baking paper and pop in fridge for 1 hour.
- Cut dough in half (you have enough for 2 large tarts or 8 small tarts).
- For this recipe, you only need half of the dough; the other half can be refrigerated or frozen until needed. Or cut the remaining dough into shapes to use for decorating (or just enjoy as biscuits).
- Roll dough to about 5mm thickness. It’s important to work quickly, especially in a hot kitchen. As dough softens, it’s harder to work with.
- Cut pastry to suit tin. You may need to bring pastry back together and re-roll to use it all up. You can mend any tears or thin areas by pushing dough into tin with fingers.
- Cover tarts with sheet of baking paper and weight it to blind bake shells.
- Bake small tarts for 7 mins and large tarts for 10 mins. Remove from oven and cool in tins for a few mins then, when cool enough to handle, carefully push out of base and cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container for 1–2 days until ready to serve.
- To serve, place fruit in bottom of tart shells.
- Top shells with cashew cream and garnish with more fruit and shaved dark chocolate (optional).
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...