Roasted Fennel Tart Recipe
Baking a tart always requires a more effort, especially when you’re making the pastry. But this tart is well worth the effort. The fennel has a lovely aniseed flavour and the fennel greens on top make for a striking dish. Fennel tops are rich in potassium, folate, vitamin C and B vitamins.
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- 100g butter, cut into cubes
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 egg
- Cold water, approx. ¼ cup
- 1 large fennel bulb, including greens on top
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease tart shell with olive oil.
- Prepare pastry first so it can rest in fridge. Add buckwheat flour to bowl along with butter and sea salt. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg and ¼ cup cold water and mix together until dough is formed. You may need a few more tbsp of extra cold water; add enough so the dough comes together and isn’t too dry. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge to set for 30 mins.
- Cut tops off fennel and set aside. Cut bulb in half and slice thinly. Add olive oil to large frypan and add sliced fennel, sliced onion, fennel seeds and sea salt. Cook over a medium heat for 30 mins, making sure to stir occasionally until mixture is soft and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Add eggs to bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Remove pastry dough from fridge and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper. Remove top sheet of baking paper and gently tip pastry into tart shell. Remove baking paper and gently press pastry into mould. Make sure pastry is an even thickness around mould and is pushed up sides. Prick base with fork multiple times and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove pastry from oven and add cooked fennel mixture. Pour over beaten eggs and top with grated cheese. Bake for 30 mins until egg has set and top is golden-brown.
- While tart is baking, prepare the fennel tops. Remove fennel leaves, wash and set aside.
- Remove tart from oven and top with fresh fennel leaves just before serving.
Parmesan-Roasted Okra with Corn Recipe
Okra has been used traditionally as a food and medicine for hundreds of years in South America, Africa and the...
Okra, Haloumi & Bulgur Salad Recipe
The combination of pan-fried okra, haloumi, pomegranate and fresh herbs makes this salad a simple weekday dish. Okra often has...
Okra with Kefir Lime, Coconut Rice and Sambal Recipe
I absolutely love the combination of the okra with this incredible rice! This is a very simple method of cooking...
Vegetable Tagine Recipe
This recipe is one of my all-time favourites for using up leftover vegetables. It can be made in a tagine...