Smoked Kransky and Sweet Potato Stew with Red Sauerkraut Recipe
Be sure to buy the best-quality kransky sausages you can find at a reputable butcher or deli as they are the star of this dish and will not be the same with supermarket substitutes. Traditional German stews use white potatoes, but I’ve swapped with sweet potatoes for additional fibre and to lower the GI of the meal.
- 3 smoked kransky sausages, sliced into discs
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ small white cabbage, diced
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into discs
- 600mL chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 4 tbsp red sauerkraut
- Cook kransky sausage slices in large frying pan over high heat. Brown well on both sides as this will add a lot of flavour to stew.
- Add onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, then add cabbage, caraway seeds and garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Transfer mix to slow cooker and add sweet potato and chicken stock. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in apple-cider vinegar and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls topped with sauerkraut.
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...