Smoked Kransky and Sweet Potato Stew with Red Sauerkraut Recipe
Be sure to buy the best-quality kransky sausages you can find at a reputable butcher or deli as they are the star of this dish and will not be the same with supermarket substitutes. Traditional German stews use white potatoes, but I’ve swapped with sweet potatoes for additional fibre and to lower the GI of the meal.
- 3 smoked kransky sausages, sliced into discs
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ small white cabbage, diced
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into discs
- 600mL chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 4 tbsp red sauerkraut
- Cook kransky sausage slices in large frying pan over high heat. Brown well on both sides as this will add a lot of flavour to stew.
- Add onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, then add cabbage, caraway seeds and garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Transfer mix to slow cooker and add sweet potato and chicken stock. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in apple-cider vinegar and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls topped with sauerkraut.
Greek Lamb Skewers in Pita Recipe
Get your iron boost for the week with these Greek marinated lamb skewers served with fresh herbs and plenty of...
Spicy Beef Lettuce Cups Recipe
These lettuce cups are my take on the san choy bau and combine lean beef mince with fresh herbs and...
Asian Glazed Salmon with Bok Choy Recipe
This recipe is super-easy to make and is guaranteed to be on midweek meal rotation. The glaze is Asian-inspired and...
Chickpea Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Science confirms that diets containing a diverse range of vegetables produce healthier gut bacteria. So while eating vegetables is important,...