Smoked Kransky and Sweet Potato Stew with Red Sauerkraut Recipe
Be sure to buy the best-quality kransky sausages you can find at a reputable butcher or deli as they are the star of this dish and will not be the same with supermarket substitutes. Traditional German stews use white potatoes, but I’ve swapped with sweet potatoes for additional fibre and to lower the GI of the meal.
- 3 smoked kransky sausages, sliced into discs
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ small white cabbage, diced
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into discs
- 600mL chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 4 tbsp red sauerkraut
- Cook kransky sausage slices in large frying pan over high heat. Brown well on both sides as this will add a lot of flavour to stew.
- Add onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, then add cabbage, caraway seeds and garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Transfer mix to slow cooker and add sweet potato and chicken stock. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in apple-cider vinegar and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls topped with sauerkraut.
Vegan Bento Bowl Recipe
This vegan bento bowl will make you feel a sense of Zen as you enjoy an organised meal full of...
The Perfect Breakfast Board Recipe
Give sugary, boxed breakfast cereals a miss and opt for this nutrient-dense gluten-free breakfast bored to power you from sunrise...
Lentil Savoury Mince Recipe
This vegan mince can be used in an abundance of ways and is a yummy simple way to keep your...
Jamaican Lamb Curry Recipe
This easy-to-make lamb curry packs some of the most delicious flavours of Jamaican cooking into one hearty meal best served...