Spiced Hot Chocolate Recipe
A really great way to move towards a healthier diet is to transform foods you or your kids enjoy and add things to make them healthier. So, while a simple hot chocolate could be just cacao, sweetener and milk, adding spices like turmeric, which is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory herb, results in a more medicinal drink.
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder
- 400-500mL milk of choice
- Sweetener (your choice of rapadura, coconut sugar, honey, rice-malt syrup, stevia), to taste
- Place cacao and spices in jar or small bowl and mix well to combine. Divide between two cups or mugs.
- Heat milk of choice. Once hot pour about one-quarter of a cup into each mug and stir well.
- Add sweetener of choice and mix again.
- Top with remaining milk, stir well and enjoy.
- Note:Work towards using as little sweetener as possible. My kids actually enjoy this with no sweetener at all. But if your tribe are accustomed to commercial hot chocolate drinks (even the healthy varieties, which I also find are very sweet), each time you make this, work on reducing the sweetener just a little. You can always add more if need be.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Spelt and Olive Focaccia Bread Recipe
Focaccia bread is one of the easiest breads to make as it requires very little rising time. I’ve topped this...
Sweet Quinoa and Cacao Risotto Recipe
Risotto isn’t just a lunch or dinner meal, it can absolutely be a dessert or breakfast! I’ve combined my go-to...