Spiced Hot Chocolate Recipe
A really great way to move towards a healthier diet is to transform foods you or your kids enjoy and add things to make them healthier. So, while a simple hot chocolate could be just cacao, sweetener and milk, adding spices like turmeric, which is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory herb, results in a more medicinal drink.
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder
- 400-500mL milk of choice
- Sweetener (your choice of rapadura, coconut sugar, honey, rice-malt syrup, stevia), to taste
- Place cacao and spices in jar or small bowl and mix well to combine. Divide between two cups or mugs.
- Heat milk of choice. Once hot pour about one-quarter of a cup into each mug and stir well.
- Add sweetener of choice and mix again.
- Top with remaining milk, stir well and enjoy.
- Note:Work towards using as little sweetener as possible. My kids actually enjoy this with no sweetener at all. But if your tribe are accustomed to commercial hot chocolate drinks (even the healthy varieties, which I also find are very sweet), each time you make this, work on reducing the sweetener just a little. You can always add more if need be.
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you’re not normally a lover of Brussels sprouts, this dish is sure to turn you into a fan! The...
Potato Pea Triangles Recipe
When our kids were young, this was their favourite dish. We’d make a big batch every week and they’d take...
Curry Spiced Trail Mix Recipe
Snack time just became a whole lot more interesting thanks to this Curry Spiced Trail Mix: the perfect combination of...
Butter Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry Recipe
Cauliflower and sweet potato add such abundant nutrition to this traditional curry dish with a twist. Both vegetables are rich...