Spinach Goat’s Cheese and Pine Nut Tarts Recipe
This tart is a trusty friend when you want to take something simple but special along to a potluck feast or lunchtime communal gathering. Its gluten-free almond crust, filled with the flavours of creamy goat’s cheese, cumin, nutmeg and earthy pine nuts, just begs to be shared with others. A beautiful recipe to extend love through food.
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tbsp cold filtered water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 brown onions, very thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g English spinach, washed & chopped (can use frozen)
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 200g goat’s cheese, crumbled into large chunks
- 2 tbsp raw honey (optional)
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease 22cm loose-based flan (tart) tin.
- To make crust, combine almond meal, bicarb soda and rosemary in large bowl and mix well.
- In separate bowl, whisk olive oil with half water. Stir olive oil and water into dry ingredients and mix well to combine. If mixture is too dry, add more water. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and spread evenly over base and up sides. Bake for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, to prepare filling, heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions for 6–7 mins until browned and caramelised. Add garlic and cook for 1 min then remove from heat and set aside.
- Place spinach in large bowl and pour over boiling water. Allow to cool then use hands to wring it out until as dry as possible.
- In large bowl, mix spinach, onions and garlic, nutmeg and cumin, then season with salt and pepper. Mix in egg, half goat’s cheese and honey, if using. Spoon mixture into crust, crumble remaining goat’s cheese over and scatter pine nuts over. Bake 15–20 mins until crust, cheese and nuts are golden.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Vegetarian cashew and zucchini Indonesian noodles
What works as a stand-alone vegetarian dish, goes well with tofu, and can even proudly accompany a chicken or fish...
Thai mango salad
This summery Thai mango salad ticks all the boxes for a fresh and healthy meal
Thai tofu with almond sauce and jasmine rice
Tofu is a good source of protein, calcium, and B vitamins. Enjoy it Thai-style with almond sauce and jasmine rice...