Sponsor Recipes: The Bare Bird
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make with The Bare Bird.
The Bare Bird Chicken & Leek Pie
- 60mL olive oil
- 20g butter
- 750g The Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets, diced (you can use breast if you prefer)
- 100g leek trimmed, halved, washed & diced
- 100g carrots, diced 1mm thick
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 250mL The Bare Bird chicken stock (recipe below)
- 200mL pure thickened cream
- 2g chopped fresh chives (if needed)
- 2g chopped tarragon (if needed)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Salt & white pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled organic puff pastry
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
- Heat oil and butter in deep frying pan over medium–high heat. Add chicken and onion. Cook, stirring, for 5–7 mins or until browned.
- Add leek, button mushrooms, carrot and cook, stirring for 5 mins or until vegetables are a little soft. Bring to boil. Stir for 1 min.
- Add stock and cream. Bring to boil, add thyme. Boil for 20 mins until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in chives and tarragon, if using, and season with salt & pepper.
- Line 4 × 7.5cm (base) pie tins with shortcrust pastry with 1–2cm overlap on dish edge. Fill tins with cooled chicken mixture.
- Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with puff pastry, folding puff pastry over excess rim and pinching together. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 25–30 mins or until golden.
- Serve with winter vegetables.
The Bare Bird Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3kg uncooked meaty The Bare Bird chicken bones
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 leek, chopped into chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 small carrots, peeled
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 5L filtered water
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in heavy-based pan over medium–high heat. Add chicken bones and cook until dark and golden all over. Add the celery, carrot onion and leek and sweat for approximately 3–5 mins until soft and golden brown.
- Add thyme, pour water over chicken carcases and cook on gentle boil until stock is reduced by half. Pass through fine sieve and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
The Bare Bird Chicken with Red Wine, Salami, Button Mushrooms & Shallots
- 1.3–1.5kg The Bare Bird Whole chicken, cut into “sauté cut” or eighths
- 50ml Olive Oil, for browning
- 500mL good red wine
- 2 small whole carrots
- 2 whole onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1L Bare Bird chicken stock (recipe above)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 12 whole baby shallots, peeled
- 12 pieces gluten-free salami, cut into sticks 1cm × 4cm
- 12 whole button mushrooms
- Lay chicken pieces on paper towel and pat dry. Place oil in large pan and sprinkle chicken with salt on both sides. Brown chicken pieces in batches in single layer for about 5 mins, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken breasts before drumsticks and thigh pieces. Brown until all chicken is done. Set aside.
- Bring red wine to boil. Cool, then pour over chicken pieces. Place in fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours to marinate.
- Remove chicken from wine mixture and place in casserole dish. Add carrots and onions, cooking over medium heat for 10–12 mins, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 more min, then add chicken and any juices that collected on plate.
- Add wine, chicken stock and thyme and bring to simmer. Cover pot with tight-fitting lid, braising on low heat for 30–40 mins. Remove chicken and vegetables, then pass sauce through fine sieve. Pour back over chicken in another pan, add olive oil then baby shallots. In medium sauté pan, add salami sticks, sauté until golden brown, then add mushrooms and cook over medium–low heat for 5–10 mins, until browned. Add back to chicken stew.
- Bring stew to simmer and cook for another 10 mins. Season to taste and serve hot.
The Bare Bird Confit Chicken Breast with Winter Broth & Vegetables
- 4 The Bare Bird chicken breasts
- Celery salt, for seasoning
- 1.5L The Bare Bird chicken stock (recipe above)
- 100g baby carrots, whole
- 100g leek
- 100g shelled broad beans
- 100g baby peas
- 100g shelled edamame beans
- 100g asparagus spears
- 100g small oyster or nameko mushrooms
- 150g Brussel sprouts
- 15 celery leaves for garnish
- 50mL olive oil
- Season chicken breasts with celery salt. Place stock on stove on gentle heat, then place chicken breasts in stock, keeping temperature of stock at around 68°C, for 25–30 mins. With 6 mins to go, place carrots, leek and Brussels sprouts in pot, then with 3 mins to go, add broad beans, peas, edamame, asparagus spears and mushrooms.
- Touch chicken breasts and if they spring back when touched, they are ready. Spoon out vegetables, then place chicken breasts in warm bowl and arrange vegetables around it.
- Pour warm broth over whole dish, then add celery leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of celery salt.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Quinoa-Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
The combination of protein from the quinoa, carbohydrate via the vegetables and essential fats from the walnuts makes this one...
Beef Massaman Recipe
This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish...
Seafood Chowder Recipe
This Seafood Chowder Recipe is the perfect one-pot wonder for mid-week meals. It’s packed with sweet potato, which is high...
Gluten-free Ginger Cookies Recipe
These delicious gluten-free ginger cookies are a healthy alternative to sugar-laden store-bought varieties. Try them out for morning tea.