Sponsor Recipes: The Bare Bird share three summer recipes
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make with The Bare Bird.
The Bare Bird Chicken Stuffed with Date & Orange Couscous
- 1 whole The Bare Bird chicken
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt & black pepper
- Pinch saffron threads
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 fresh dates, roughly chopped
- ½ cup roasted almond flakes
- Juice & zest 1 orange
- Juice & zest 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Rub whole chicken with mixture of ghee, salt and pepper.
- Place saffron threads in ½ cup boiling water.
- Place couscous in bowl with garlic, dates, almonds, orange juice and zest and lemon juice and zest.
- Pour saffron-infused water over all dry ingredients, mix well and cover for 15 mins. Remove cover and fluff with hands or fork.
- Add olive oil and chopped herbs and season well.
- Stuff chicken with couscous mixture and secure legs with string and toothpicks before placing in roasting dish. Roast for 1½ hours until cooked and golden.
- Remove from oven and rest for 10 mins before serving.
- Best served with roasted pumpkin and a crisp salad of radicchio.
Traditional The Bare Bird Chicken Bastilla with Cumin Eggplant Skewers
- 1 The Bare Bird chicken
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Good pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 4 eggs
- 25g unsalted butter
- 75g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 300g filo pastry
- 150g melted butter
- Place chicken in saucepan with onion, ginger, saffron, half the coriander leaves, cinnamon and parsley, then season with salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover bird and simmer gently, covered, for 55 mins or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from saucepan, transfer to plate and allow to cool. Simmer juice until reduced to thick consistency.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Beat eggs and 25g of butter with cooking juice and cook over low heat, stirring until scrambled, then remove from heat.
- Shred cooled chicken and add to egg mixture. Add flaked almonds and remaining coriander leaves.
- Place one-quarter of chicken mixture in centre of pastry and fold sides to enclose filling.
- Ensure pastry parcel is fully sealed, brush with a little more melted butter and place on baking tray. Repeat process 3 more times.
- Place baking tray in oven and cook for 35 mins until pastry is golden brown.
- 6 Lebanese eggplants, chopped into 4cm chunks
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch chilli powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Ground cinnamon, to dust
- Meanwhile, combine eggplant with cumin, garlic, chilli powder, salt and olive oil.
- Preheat barbecue or grill.
- Thread eggplant onto skewers and grill for 2–3 mins, turn to brown and cook through.
- Remove bastilla from oven, dust with cinnamon and icing sugar and serve with eggplant skewers.
Spicy Lime & Pineapple Chicken Skewers
- Zest & juice 2 limes
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- ¼ cup sriracha sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 The Bare Bird Chicken skinless breasts, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 whole pineapple, cut into 3cm cubes
- Cooked rice, to serve
- Lime, cut into wedges
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Place lime zest, lime juice, honey, sriracha sauce, oil, salt and pepper in large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add chicken to bowl and toss, ensuring everything is coated. Cover and marinate for 15 mins in fridge.
- Preheat oven grill or barbecue. Thread chicken and pineapple onto 8 skewers, alternating between chicken and pineapple. Brush with a bit of extra olive oil and cook for 10–12 mins, turning once or twice, or until cooked through and deeply browned.
- Serve skewers on a bed of cooked rice with wedges of lime, coriander and extra sriracha sauce.
Japanese Poke Bowl Recipe
Like a party on a plate, this Japanese Poke bowl is so much fun to eat! Try our Japanese Poke...
Spiced Carrot Dip Recipe
Mad for carrots? We are too! They are a regular player in our snack bag on the run. Try our...
Zucchini, Mint and Haloumi Fritters Recipe
These easy-to-make fritters are delicious and nourishing finger food for a picnic. Try our Zucchini, Mint and Haloumi Fritters today
Tofu and Kale Braised in Coconut and Chilli Recipe
Enjoy this kale dish seasoned and dressed in cooling coconut milk and spiced up with a little bit of chilli!