Sponsor Recipes: Food is Life
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make from the Food is Life cookbook.
Marinated Lamb Chops with Stir-Fried Pak Choy & Baby Carrots
- 300mL fresh pineapple juice
- 70mL coconut aminos
- 3cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice 1 lime
- Pinch arrowroot starch
- 12 lamb chops
- 300g baby carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500g pak choy, cut into 1cm pieces
- Combine marinade ingredients, without arrowroot.
- Marinate lamb chops in half of marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Remove lamb chops from marinade.
- Add other half of marinade and bring to soft boil, simmer for 5 mins. Mix a little arrowroot with some water and thicken marinade into glaze. Remove from heat.
- Grill carrots on greased pre-heated grill until soft, approx. 3–4 mins.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat and add onion and garlic, fry for 1 min.
- Add chopped pak choy and stir-fry for 1 min. Season. Lower heat and simmer for 2 mins (if necessary add a bit of water to avoid drying up or burning).
- Grill lamb chops on greased pre-heated grill, applying glaze with brush during cooking process.
- Apply more glaze after lamb chops are cooked, for shiny presentation.
- Arrange vegies on serving tray and top with lamb chops.
Charred Onion, Roasted Pumpkin & Bacon Salad with Coconut Cream Dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small red onions, halved
- 500g pumpkin, cut into pieces
- 8 rashers smoked bacon
- 4 tbsp coconut cream*
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Sea salt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Grease frying pan with a little oil and heat to low–medium heat. Place onions, cut side down, in pan and fry without moving onions for 4–5 minutes. Add pumpkin chunks to pan plus remaining oil and give pan a good shake so all is well mixed. (You can now move onions.)
- Place pan in oven for 20–25 mins.
- After 10 mins, add bacon rashers to pan.
- When pumpkin has softened and bacon is crisp, remove pan from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Season coconut cream and whisk it firm, as with whipping cream. When cream is cold, whisking is really fast, less than 1 min.
- Arrange salad components on plates, add some dressing, drizzle a little baking oil over salad and garnish with coriander leaves and a sprinkle of salt.
- Serve lukewarm.
- Tip: If you have fresh coconut cream, leave it in the fridge for 2 days. The cream will coagulate and you can scoop it out. Another good way of achieving this is to strain the coconut cream through cheesecloth after 2 days, save the milk and use the thick cream for the dressing.
Prawn & Vegetable Tempura
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 90mL cold water
- Coconut oil, olive oil or lard, for frying
- 12 small broccoli or cauliflower florets
- 1–2 zucchinis, sliced
- 12 small mushrooms
- 12 medium-sized prawns
- Coconut aminos, for dipping
- Place tapioca flour in bowl with salt and turmeric. Sprinkle water evenly over flour.
- Use fingers to combine flour with water, so you get batter-like texture.
- Heat oil in frypan.
- Dip individual pieces of ingredients in batter and dip them slowly in oil.
- Dip first halfway so frying starts, release after a few secs. This will prevent individual pieces from sticking together.
- Fry all ingredients bit by bit for best result and drain on rack or kitchen paper.
- Finally, drizzle some remaining batter in oil for garnish.
- Serve tempura on sheet of paper with coconut aminos for dipping.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Learn how to regain your brain after burnout
Do you have "burnout brain"? A brain that's tired, stressed, overworked and unable to think clearly and creatively? Snap out...
Bed bugs - a threat to our health
Histamine levels are significantly higher in bed bug infested homes which is a medical threat to our health.
Discover how to treat acne naturally
Acne can happen to anyone, teens or even adults, and it can cause lots of emotional challenges to go with...
How your weight loss affects your partner
If one member of a couple loses weight, the other partner will lose weight too.