Sponsor Recipes: The Bare Bird
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make with The Bare Bird.
Roast Chicken with Herby Spices & Cornbread Stuffing
- Corn Bread (makes 4 cups)
- 3 eggs
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
2 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup water
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
1 whole The Bare Bird chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups cornbread (see recipe above)
- ½ head garlic cloves
- 1 cup pecan nuts
- 4 links Italian sausage, skins removed & broken by hand into small chunks
- 4 sprigs sage, picked & roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- First, make cornbread. Preheat oven to 210°C. Place eggs and sugar in mixer and cream until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in oil until combined then add milk and salt.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and vinegar and mix well.
- Pour batter into oven tray lined with baking paper and bake for 20–25 mins or until skewer comes out clean from middle of cornbread.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- While cornbread is cooling, bring brown sugar and water to boil. Use pastry brush to brush top of corn bread with sugary glaze. Allow bread to cool for at least one hour before cutting.
- Turn oven temperature to 200°C.
- Mix spices together to make rub (this mixture is enough for 3 chickens, so reserve any leftovers).
- Place chicken on oven tray and massage with olive oil.
- Lightly sprinkle spice mixture over all chicken.
- Place in oven for 50 mins or until cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, make cornbread stuffing: Break up garlic cloves and wrap them in foil. Roast in oven for 20 mins or until soft. Remove from oven, allow to cool then peel. Mix hand-crumbled corn bread, sausage, sage, nuts, roast garlic and beaten egg lightly.
- Tip into baking dish (do not press mixture hard or stuffing will be very firm).
- Bake stuffing at 200°C for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Remove chicken from oven and baste with roasting juices from pan. Portion chicken and serve stuffing at centre of table.
One-pot Chicken Tenderloin with Leeks, Orange, Ginger & King Swiss Brown Mushrooms
- 8 large Swiss brown mushrooms
- 2 large leeks
- 8 The Bare Bird chicken tenderloins
- 3cm knob fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
- 250mL chicken stock
- 1 orange, peeled & sliced in semicircles
- Cooked rice, to serve
- Pineapple weed leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Alternate top and tail leeks and mushrooms in small baking dish. Slide chicken tenderloins in between. Wedge sliced ginger and garlic in between other ingredients. Add stock and put straight in oven for 25 mins.
- Remove from oven, add sliced oranges to top and cook on stove top until stock reduces and turns to sauce.
- The chicken stock, mushroom, garlic and ginger create beautiful gravy when reduced on heat. Serve with rice and garnish with pineapple weed leaves if using.
Chicken Shank Tart with Miso-Marinated Broccoli
- Olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 100g diced Kent pumpkin, chopped
- Salt & pepper, to season
- ¼ head broccoli, cut into florets
- 60g miso paste
- 50mL rice-wine vinegar
- 2 Bare Bird chicken drumsticks
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 50g cashew jam
- 1 egg, beaten, to wash
- 50g unsalted cashews, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Drizzle olive oil in baking tray, add onions and pumpkin then season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 mins, remove and reduce heat to 180°C.
- Blanch broccoli florets. Mix miso paste with rice-wine vinegar and add to broccoli.
- Roast chicken drumsticks in oven for 25 mins. Set aside.
- Cut puff pastry with knife using plate as template. Then, using the back of knife and going anticlockwise around pastry, shape with knife to help it rise evenly.
- Spread cashew nut jam on middle of pastry, egg wash pastry sides then place roasted drumsticks, pumpkin, onions and marinated broccoli on pastry.
- Cook in oven for 8 mins. Reduce temperature to 180°C and cook for another 8 mins.
- Remove from oven and serve with cashew nuts and extra cashew jam.
Sponsor Recipes: Bake Mixes
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with Bake Mixes.
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you’re not normally a lover of Brussels sprouts, this dish is sure to turn you into a fan! The...
Sponsor Recipes: Golden Door
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with McKenzie’s.
Sponsor Recipes: Tilda Products
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with Tilda Products.