Elysia Wellness Retreat and Spa share three healthy recipes like their famous Elysia Sauerkraut
Whether you stay for a few hours or a few days, Elysia Wellness Retreat and Spa offers a range of health and lifestyle treatments, as well as all-inclusive programs to take you back to your original state of bliss. Located In the beautiful Hunter Valley, NSW.
Golden Beetroot, Beluga Lentil & Feta Cheese Salad
- 600g golden or purple beetroot
- 150g walnuts
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 200g cucumber, cut in slices
- 200g mixed salad leaves (mesclun mix works well)
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 radishes, sliced thinly
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 200g cooked beluga lentils (if these are unobtainable, use green or brown lentils instead)
- Pinch alfalfa sprouts, for garnish
Lemon mustard dressing
- 100mL lemon juice
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp honey or brown-rice syrup
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 400mL extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- Wash beetroot and wrap in foil. Bake for 45 mins–1 hour depending on size, or when a small knife or skewer slides to the centre without difficulty.
- Lay walnuts on baking tray and bake for 5 mins until lightly toasted.
- Place walnuts in bowl, spoon maple syrup over nuts while hot and carefully mix with spoon. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once beetroots are cool enough to handle, carefully scrape skins off with serrated knife.
- Dice beetroots into 4cm cubes.
- Toss all salad ingredients together in salad bowl, being careful not to damage avocado.
- Portion into bowl or plate, and garnish with alfalfa sprouts.
- Place dressing ingredients in blender and mix to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Store in sealed container in fridge for up to 2 weeks.)
- Drizzle dressing onto salad and serve.
- 600g shaved or chopped cabbage
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated
- 100g carrot, julienned
- 300g fennel, julienned
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp natural salt flakes
- Sterilise utensils by boiling in saucepan of water and air dry on clean bench to room temperature.
- Place cabbage, apple, carrot, fennel and seeds in bowl and mix to combine.
- Place handful of mixture at a time into jar, sprinkle layer of salt into cabbage and work salt into cabbage with muddler. The cabbage will start to soften and release liquid.
- Repeat process until all cabbage is in jar, tightly packed, and liquid has risen to top and sits above cabbage, acting as a seal from oxygen.
- Screw lid on jar and place in kitchen at room temperature to ferment.
- Open jar daily and using clean utensils taste as it progresses through the stages of fermentation.
- At Elysia, we ferment our sauerkraut for 2–3 weeks depending on time of year.
- Once happy with flavours, place in fridge and use as a condiment for the next 3 months.
Sunflower & Chia Seed Crackers
Makes: 20 crackers
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 250mL water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh or dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage, chives)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 160°C–180°C fan-forced.
- Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Leave mixture to sit for a few mins until water has all absorbed.
- Spread mixture out evenly on lined tray.
- Make indents on mixture with knife to chosen shape.
- Bake for 15–20 mins until light golden-brown colour.
- Remove tray from oven and carefully flip crackers over.
- Bake for further 5-10 mins until evenly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and rest to room temperature.
- Gently snap crackers apart and store in airtight container for 3–4 days at room temperature or in freezer for up to 1 month.
MORE INSPIRATION Carman's share three healthy and delicious recipes Carman's share three healthy and delicious recipes like Greenie Granola Smoothie Bowl. The Bare Bird share three delicious chicken recipes for you and your family The Bare Bird chicken products are 100 per cent antibiotic-free, accredited free-range and raised on a plant-based diet containing no... Tilda share three delicious and healthy recipes From their signature Pure Basmati to their exciting range of limited editions, Tilda products will inspire you to create delicious...
Carman's share three healthy and delicious recipes
Carman's share three healthy and delicious recipes like Greenie Granola Smoothie Bowl.
The Bare Bird share three delicious chicken recipes for you and your family
The Bare Bird chicken products are 100 per cent antibiotic-free, accredited free-range and raised on a plant-based diet containing no...
Tilda share three delicious and healthy recipes
From their signature Pure Basmati to their exciting range of limited editions, Tilda products will inspire you to create delicious...