Super Bean Mexi Salad Recipe
High on our home menu repertoire is Mexican. We try mixing and matching different ingredients with Mexican spice and flavours and they’re always a cracking success! This combination in particular is a great way to up the iron in your diet from simple plant-based ingredients. Both the tofu and the lentils deliver iron to the dish. The vitamin C rich citrus fruits squeezed over before serving help the body absorb the iron in food — all in a very delicious, wholesome meal. The whole family will love this delicious, nourishing and iron-rich bean salad with a special Mexican twist.
- 200g corn kernels
- 300g organic hard tofu, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoky paprika
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 400g tin brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 200g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 red capsicum, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeded & finely chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely sliced
- 100g red onion, peeled & finely diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled & diced
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Juice 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Heat frying pan on medium heat, add oil, corn kernels, tofu, cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli and cook 4–5 mins, tossing frequently to coat.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl combine kidney beans, lentils, cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum, coriander, mint, red onion and corn and tofu mix, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Top with avocado pieces, and drizzle all over with lemon or lime juice.
- Serve as is or with tortilla or corn chips if desired.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Berry and apple jellies
Fun to make and delicious to eat - these berry and apple jellies sure are a treat
No refined sugars and loads of fruit make this vegan tropical iceblock recipe a real winner
Cherry and almond sorbet
This simple cherry and almond sorbet recipe doesn’t require an ice-cream machine, and it's vegan-friendly too. What are you waiting...