Super Bean Mexi Salad Recipe
High on our home menu repertoire is Mexican. We try mixing and matching different ingredients with Mexican spice and flavours and they’re always a cracking success! This combination in particular is a great way to up the iron in your diet from simple plant-based ingredients. Both the tofu and the lentils deliver iron to the dish. The vitamin C rich citrus fruits squeezed over before serving help the body absorb the iron in food — all in a very delicious, wholesome meal. The whole family will love this delicious, nourishing and iron-rich bean salad with a special Mexican twist.
- 200g corn kernels
- 300g organic hard tofu, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoky paprika
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 400g tin brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 200g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 red capsicum, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeded & finely chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely sliced
- 100g red onion, peeled & finely diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled & diced
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Juice 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Heat frying pan on medium heat, add oil, corn kernels, tofu, cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli and cook 4–5 mins, tossing frequently to coat.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl combine kidney beans, lentils, cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum, coriander, mint, red onion and corn and tofu mix, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Top with avocado pieces, and drizzle all over with lemon or lime juice.
- Serve as is or with tortilla or corn chips if desired.
Peanut Butter Hemp Smoothie Recipe
By adding hemp seeds to your smoothies, you not only get a lovely mild nutty flavour but they are rich...
Indian Spiced Roast Chook with Biryani Hemp Stuffing and Roasted Vegetables Recipe
A foolproof way to cook the perfect roast chicken, loaded with nutrient-dense vegies and a delicious biryani stuffing with a...
Rhubarb and Apple Deconstructed Crumble Recipe
Each component of this is delicious in its own right, but combined they make a force to be reckoned with....
Fruit Crumble Muesli Bar Recipe
Being nut-free, this muesli bar is a versatile, delicious, nourishing addition to your school lunchbox. It freezes well also, so...