Sponsor Recipes: Tarago Cheese share three delicious recipes
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make with Tarago Cheese.
The Perfect Cheese Platter
Serves: depends on number of guests
- Tarago cheeses from your local deli include Gippsland Blue, Shadows of Blue, Blue Orchid, Gippsland Brie, Tarago Triple Cream & Jensen’s Washed Rind.
- Things to look out for when creating the perfect cheese platter:
- • Serve cheeses at room temperature.
- • When purchasing cheese, feel for softness.
- • Look for a nice even colour and ask to taste the cheese.
- • Serve with seasonal fruits and nuts.
- • Cheeses pair well with air-dried meats like prosciutto, capocollo and salami.
- • Look for acidic chutney and pickles, like pickled mustard fruits.
- • Serve with a big stack of linseed crackers (recipe below), crisp breads and grissini.
- Spelt & Linseed Crackers
- 2 cups plain flour
- ⅔ cup wholemeal flour or spelt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing crackers
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- In bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl or jug, mix all of the wet ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
- Roll out long thin rectangle shapes on parchment paper.
- Brush crackers with olive oil and bake at 170ºC for 7 mins for each tray.
Red Wine-Poached Pears with Targo Gippsland Blue
- Poached Pears
- 4 ripe but firm pears, halved lengthwise, stem intact
- 1½ cups red wine (Merlot or Pinot Noir)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Candied Nuts
- 125g mixed nuts
- 80g white sugar
- ¼ tsp whole coriander seed
- ¼ tsp whole fennel seed
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- Walnut & Tarragon Dressing
- 100mL walnut oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 20mL tarragon vinegar
- Salad greens such as rocket, mizuna, chicory & watercress
- 125g Tarago Gippsland Blue, cubed
- Using melon baller, remove pear core. Place pears in narrow pot and add red wine and sugar. Cover with a cartouche (parchment paper lid) and slowly bring to simmer. When simmering, turn off and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Place nuts on tray and toast in oven for 3–4 mins.
- In frying pan, make dry caramel by adding white sugar to pan. Once caramel turns golden, add nuts and remove from heat, then add spices and salt. Spread out on tray and allow to cool.
- Combine walnut oil, shallots, mustard and vinegar, and whisk (season to taste).
- To serve, slice pear into slivers and lightly dress salad greens with dressing. Add cheese and nuts and serve.
Crostini with Quince, Kumquats & Tarago Jensen’s Red
Serves: 6, depending on baguette size & slices
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- Kumquat Jam
- 300g kumquats, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 150g white sugar
- Poached & Roasted Quince
- 2 large quinces, sliced
- Light sugar syrup (50g sugar with 100mL water)
- 100g butter, melted
- 100g brown sugar
- 200g Tarago Jensen’s Red, sliced
- Lay sliced baguette on tray and bake for about 6 mins or until light golden. Turn over and toast for further 4 mins until golden.
- Place chopped kumquat in pot and cover with water and sugar. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 mins then turn off and allow to cool completely. Repeat process twice, then on the last time cook out to jam consistency.
- Place quince in pot and cover with light syrup, simmering for 10 mins. Remove from heat, toss in melted butter and brown sugar and place on roasting tray. Bake at 160ºC for 10 mins.
- To serve, mix together kumquat jam and roasted quince, place on top of crostini and add sliced Jensen’s Red.
Recipes by Trevor Perkins from Hogget Kitchen, Warragul
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Beetroot, Maple and Pecans Salad Recipe
The beetroot plant is bursting with so much nourishment and it’s super delicious when combined with this tasty dressing and...
Roasted Beetroot Salad Recipe
Beetroot greens are not to be underestimated. They are rich in antioxidants, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese, copper, vitamin A, calcium...
Cauliflower Hummus Recipe
The cauliflower lends a gorgeous nutty flavour and, garnished with some extra roasted chickpeas and veg, the texture is equally...
Vegetable Marrakesh Casserole Recipe
Root vegetables are stars of the spiced casserole! Sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot are simmered in Moroccan-inspired flavours for a...