This tempeh recipe has authentic flavour and was taught to me by a villager in Bali. Usually, Tempeh Manis is deep-fried to gain the crispiness, but oven baking has the same effect, making it a healthy choice when cooking Indonesia’s wonderful cuisine.
- 600g tempeh, sliced thinly into 3cm-long sticks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red shallots, finely diced
- 4 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp vegan fish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place tempeh sticks on baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 30 mins, until golden brown and super-crisp.
- Heat wok or on high heat, add garlic, shallots and chillies and sauté until aromatic.
- Add tomato and cook until softened. Add baked tempeh, kecap manis, tamari and fish sauce, and stir until tempeh is coated in the sauce and sticky. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cooked brown rice.
Smoked Tofu, Avocado & Asparagus Vegan Benedict Recipe
Memorable meals can easily be reproduced with vegan ingredients, and this tofu vegan benedict will absolutely wow you in the...
Chocolate Nice Cream with Strawberries Recipe
Decadent and sweet with natural sugars, this choc nice cream is the perfect sweet treat or pancake topper — and...
Original Coconut Amino Sauce — Niulife
The original not-soy sauce that’s famous for flavour. This soy-free seasoning sauce is all-natural, non-GMO and gluten free. Made from...
Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil — Niulife
Hand-made by small coastal villages in the pristine Solomon Islands, our single-origin wild-harvested Extra Virgin Coconut Oil provides a new...