Vegan Beetroot Borscht with Chickpeas and Vegetables Recipe
This traditional beetroot soup incorporates a variety of other vegetables for extra nutrition. It can be eaten cold in the summertime or hot in the winter.
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into small batons
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 6 baby beetroots, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1L vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- Heat frying pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 2 mins with dash of water.
- Add carrot, sliced mushroom and baby beets. Add bay leaf, rosemary sprig, chickpeas and diced tomato. Add vegetable stock and stir through.
- Season with salt and pepper, covered, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix arrowroot with ½ cup of water, add to soup, stir well and allow to thicken.
- Meanwhile, add couscous to bowl, cover with boiling water. Cover with cloth and let stand for 5 mins, then fluff with fork and serve with borscht.
Mango and Coconut Ice Blocks Recipe
These delicious ice blocks make a healthy treat for the whole family. They are a nutritious alternative to sugar-laden store-bought...
Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake Recipe
This delicious cake caters to many intolerances as it’s dairy-, egg- and gluten-free and vegan. It gets a lovely richness...
Coconut and Tapioca Pudding with Pineapple Flowers Recipe
Traditionally, tapioca pudding in Sri Lanka is made with condensed milk and quite a lot of sugar. This is my...
Cauliflower Hummus Recipe
The cauliflower lends a gorgeous nutty flavour and, garnished with some extra roasted chickpeas and veg, the texture is equally...