Vegan Carrot Cake
The past year my baking has transitioned a lot to learning and creating with plant-based ingredients. Replacing eggs with linseed or chia eggs, butter with olive, coconut or macadamia oil or nut butters, and looking at ways to ensure there is a balance of essential nutrients from plants that we would traditionally find in non-plant sources too. It’s been a year of delicious afternoon teas including this recipe for vegan carrot cake and no doubt many more to come in the year ahead too!
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 tbsp linseed meal
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup or 85mL plant-based milk
- ⅓ cup or 85mL extra-virgin olive or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sultanas
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line 14cm × 24cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In bowl combine carrot, linseed meal, coconut sugar, milk, oil, vanilla and sultanas and mix.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sea salt, spelt flour and walnuts and mix well to combine.
- Pour batter into lined loaf tin and spread evenly.
- Place in oven to cook for 40–50 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 20 mins, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
- This loaf is quite dense and rich in nature, delicious served with a spread or tahini or nut butter.
Chocolate Crepes with Quick Coconut Caramel Recipe
It’s hard to believe that these chocolate crepes are gluten-free and vegan! They’re the perfect little treat for a weekend...
4 vegan treats the whole family will love
Made using Ulu Hye creamy plant-based alternatives, these vegan treats are set to become your go-to for family gatherings —...
3 delicious vegan chocolate desserts that will leave you wanting more
Plant-based, gluten-free and delicious, PANA Organic offers a range of amazing organic food for every occasion.