Vegan Hungarian Goulash with Cucumber Dill Salad
Hungarian goulash is the most famous and often-cooked dish outside the borders of Hungary. Still, there are many confusions and misconceptions surrounding its exact ingredients and preparation method, as even in Hungary every other cook has their own way of cooking it, by either adding or omitting some of the ingredients or changing something in the preparation process. It is eaten as a main dish and is considered to be more of a soup than a stew. If cooked in the proper way, goulash has a nice and evenly thick consistency, almost like a sauce. This dish has instantly become a family favourite and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did.
- Cashew Sour Cream (makes 3 cups):
- 2 cups raw cashews
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 4 onions, finely diced
- ¼ cup Hungarian paprika
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red capsicums, seeded & cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeded & cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 2cm dice
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 700g sweet potato, cut into 4cm chunks
- 2 potatoes, cut into 4cm chunks
- 5 cups water
- 4 tbsp vegan “beef” stock powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper,8 slices wholemeal sourdough bread,1 cup cashew sour cream (see recipe below)
- To make cashew sour cream, place all ingredients in high-speed blender and purée until smooth, and the same consistency as dairy sour cream; it will thicken overnight in the fridge.
- Store in airtight container in fridge until required and use within 7 days. It can be frozen if required.
- Heat large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook onions without oil until beginning to brown, about 5 mins.
- Stir in paprika and garlic. Add capsicums and cook stirring for another 2 mins. Add carrots, tomatoes, sweet potato and potatoes, water, stock powder and bay leaf. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 mins. Remove lid and simmer for another 15 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cucumber Dill Salad:
- 2 telegraph cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ cup cashew sour cream (see recipe below)
- 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- Salt & pepper
- To make cucumber dill salad, place all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Sprinkle top with a pinch of paprika.
- To serve, place pan on table with bread, cucumber salad and cashew sour cream.
BBQ Jackfruit Pizza Recipe
Do you want to create a sensation at the dinner table? This vegan jackfruit pizza will blow your dinner guests’...
Asparagus & Fennel Soup with Cumin-spiced Lotus Chips Recipe
Although fennel and asparagus are less common ingredients, this soup combines their flavours beautifully in a unique affair, perfect for...
Ricotta with Eggplant, Olives & Tomato Recipe
Eggplant is such a wonderfully ‘meaty’ vegetable, and makes the ultimate crowd-pleasing starter when teamed with these scrumptious Italian flavours.