Vegan Székely Gulyás (Mushroom & Sauerkraut Goulash)
The name székely gulyás means “gypsy goulash” in Hungarian. Technically, this is a soupy pork dish with sauerkraut and sour cream. I have swapped out the pork with mushrooms to create a traditional-style vegan version.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 600g mushrooms, quartered
- 500g sauerkraut
- 1 cup cashew sour cream (recipe below)
- 6 cups water
- 30g plain flour
- 200g mushrooms, quartered & dry sautéed in frying pan, to garnish
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Wholemeal sourdough bread, to serve
- In large saucepan, gently fry onion, paprika, caraway seeds and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 mins. Add sauerkraut and cook for 5 mins.
- In bowl, mix cashew sour cream, water and flour, then add to mushroom mixture, stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms and parsley. Serve in pan with wholemeal sourdough bread on the side.
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1½ cups cashews (soaked overnight & drained)
- 1 cup water
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt or more, to taste
- Place soaked cashews in blender with water, lemon juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Banana Oat Breakfast Muffins Recipe
Packed with gluten-free goodness, these banana & oat breakfast muffins have the perfect balance of protein, healthy fats and carbohydrates.
BBQ Jackfruit Pizza Recipe
Do you want to create a sensation at the dinner table? This vegan jackfruit pizza will blow your dinner guests’...
Asparagus & Fennel Soup with Cumin-spiced Lotus Chips Recipe
Although fennel and asparagus are less common ingredients, this soup combines their flavours beautifully in a unique affair, perfect for...