Vegan Székely Gulyás (Mushroom & Sauerkraut Goulash)
The name székely gulyás means “gypsy goulash” in Hungarian. Technically, this is a soupy pork dish with sauerkraut and sour cream. I have swapped out the pork with mushrooms to create a traditional-style vegan version.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 600g mushrooms, quartered
- 500g sauerkraut
- 1 cup cashew sour cream (recipe below)
- 6 cups water
- 30g plain flour
- 200g mushrooms, quartered & dry sautéed in frying pan, to garnish
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Wholemeal sourdough bread, to serve
- In large saucepan, gently fry onion, paprika, caraway seeds and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 mins. Add sauerkraut and cook for 5 mins.
- In bowl, mix cashew sour cream, water and flour, then add to mushroom mixture, stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms and parsley. Serve in pan with wholemeal sourdough bread on the side.
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1½ cups cashews (soaked overnight & drained)
- 1 cup water
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt or more, to taste
- Place soaked cashews in blender with water, lemon juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...