3 chicken dishes ready for the summer months
The Bare Bird chicken products are 100 per cent antibiotic-free, accredited free-range and raised on a plant-based diet containing no animal by-products, antibiotics, hormones or steroids. The Bare Bird creator, John Hazeldene, says his family has always been at the forefront of setting high standards in poultry. “We believe a move to producing food without antibiotics is the right thing to do.”
Butterflied Chicken with Miso, Lemonade & Beer
- 200mL organic lemonade
- 200mL beer
- Juice 1 lemon
- 85g white miso paste
- 1.5kg Bare Bird Whole chicken, butterflied down the back
- 400g Indian lime chutney
- 250g natural yoghurt
- 6 pieces roti bread
- Add lemonade, beer, lemon juice and miso paste to the pan, and reduce to a syrup. Allow to cool.
- Pour syrup over the skin side of the butterflied chicken and rub into skin.
- Place on a bed of lime chutney and roast for 60 mins in a fan-forced oven at 150°C. Increase to 180°C for 15 mins. Remove from oven and allow to breathe for 10 mins.
- Serve with roti bread and natural yoghurt.
Chicken Leg Hock, Parsley & Zucchini Soup
- 600mL chicken stock
- 6-8 Bare Bird chicken drumsticks, hocks removed
- 100g Dutch cream potatoes, skin on, cut into coins
- 1 bunch continental parsley
- 250g zucchini
- 1 tsp gluten free cornflour, mixed to a paste
- 3g hot mustard
- Heat chicken stock over low heat. Add chicken hocks, braise, and add potato.
- Cook on low for 25 mins. Drain stock and blend it with half the parsley, then return to the pan.
- Add zucchini, chopped, parsley, and cornflour paste, hot mustard and allow to thicken.
- Garnish with remainder of the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Lemongrass Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 large stalks lemongrass, trimmed & finely grated
- 3cm cube fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- Zest 1 lime, organic if possible
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari + 1tsp honey
- 2 tbsp extra extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Bare Bird chicken drumsticks (1 pack)
- Fresh coriander or parsley and lime wedges, to serve
- Trim the stems off the lemongrass and remove the tough outer layers. Cut off the woody end of stalks so that you’re left with 10-12cm of the bottom white portion. Grate with a fine grater and place in a large bowl.
- Grate ginger and lime zest into bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, sea salt, coconut aminos and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Place chicken drumsticks in bowl and use hands to coat all sides. Let marinate at least 30 mins (room temperature) or covered in fridge up to 24 hours (overnight is ideal).
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C fan-force and place drumsticks on a wire cooking rack with a foil lined tray underneath.
- Bake for 20 mins, flip drumsticks over and baste the other side with any remaining marinade and bake for another 25 mins. Finish with an additional 3-5 mins under the grill to get a nice crisp brown skin.
- Serve with fresh herbs and lime wedges.
Berry, Pepita & Walnut Fruit Salad with Sweet Cashew Cream Recipe
Level up your fruit salad with this sweet and smooth easy-to-prepare cashew cream, you can enjoy good health and a...
Cauliflower Cashew Curry Recipe
This is a really tasty vegan curry recipe that is perfect as a nourishing stand-alone meal or served with rice...
3 chicken dinner recipes to add to your weekly menu
Made with The Bare Bird's antibiotic-free, accredited free-range chickens, these delicious chicken dinner recipes are guaranteed to be love at...