Cabbage Rolls with Zesty Herby Filling
Cabbage rolls are a traditional Hungarian dish, but these take a different direction. Filled with a zesty mix of eggplant, brown rice, herbs, seeds and spices, it brings a rich and “hearty” style without being too heavy.
Makes: 6 rolls
- 1 eggplant, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- Big handful parsley leaves, chopped
- 7–8 mint leaves, chopped
- 70–80g feta, crumbled
- ½ cup sunflower seeds or pepitas
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt or more to taste
- ¼–½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 6 cabbage leaves
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Drizzle eggplant with 1–2 tbsp olive oil and good sprinkle of salt and place in oven for 25 mins, or until eggplant is tender.
- Gently warm cumin and coriander seeds in small frying pan until fragrant, and then crush with mortar and pestle, or with the side of a knife.
- Combine eggplant, seeds and remaining ingredients in bowl.
- Cut off and discard any particularly tough parts of cabbage leaves and gently steam until just tender.
- Lay out 1 cabbage leaf and add around ½ cup mixture, rolling up to large cigar or cone shape, whichever works best with leaf shape. Continue with remaining leaves.
- Place rolls onto baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for around 20 mins, or until leaves are golden and tender.
Kale & Cabbage Salad with Pepitas & Cranberries
There are some terrific superfoods available, such as açaí, lucuma and spirulina. But don’t forget some of our standard vegetables...