Grab a handful of frozen ingredients and you can have lunches for a week or an easy dinner. Flaky and crispy pastry is wrapped around a filling of cheesy vegetables in a moreish dish that is straight outta the freezer.
- 500g frozen spinach defrosted & drained
- 1 cup frozen diced onions, defrosted
- 250g firm feta
- 250g ricotta
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 24 sheets frozen filo pastry, defrosted
- Olive oil spray
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 190°C.
- Squeeze any excess water out of the spinach and place spinach in a mixing bowl along with the onion.
- Crumble the feta into the mixture and then add the ricotta and the eggs.
- Mix well and add seasonings before mixing again.
- Grease a large, shallow ovenproof frying pan or dish.
- Working 4 sheets at a time, lay out 1 sheet of filo, spray it with olive oil and layer another on top.
- Continue until you have a stack of 4.
- Lay out a line of spinach and feta mixture along the long edge and roll up loosely. (If you roll the pastry too tight it will split when you spiral it.)
- Roll the log into a spiral and place it in the centre of the dish.
- Repeat until you have 8 spirals and all of the filling is used up.
- Spray the top of the spirals with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 mins until golden.
- Eat warm or cold.
- You can use melted butter instead of spray oil.