For those who need a sweet snack and a little pick-me-up coffee hit.
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 5 tbsp hot water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 400g tin evaporated milk
- 270g tin condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place ramekins into a larger baking dish.
- Over a medium-high heat, simmer sugar, 1 tsp instant coffee granules and 4 tbsp of water until browned and thickened. Whisk continually for 6-8 mins. Pour straight into the base of the ramekins.
- In a small dish, dissolve 1 tbsp water and the remaining 2 tbsp coffee. Allow to cool.
- Add condensed milk, evaporated milk, coffee mixture and eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour milk mixture over the caramel base in the ramekins.
- Fill the larger baking dish with hot water and carefully place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate for a minimum 4 hours.
- To remove the flan from the ramekins, run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, cover with a serving plate and quickly invert.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: Flan freezes really well. Cut into slices before placing in a freezer-safe container, then wrap the container in aluminium foil. Leave overnight in the fridge to defrost slowly and the consistency will hold.