3 warming recipes from The Bare Bird
The Bare Bird chicken products are 100 per cent antibiotic-free, accredited free-range and raised on a plant-based diet containing no animal by-products, antibiotics, hormones or steroids. The Bare Bird creator, John Hazeldene, says his family has always been at the forefront of setting high standards in poultry. “We believe a move to producing food without antibiotics is the right thing to do.”
Hearty Chicken Stew
- 1 whole Bare Bird chicken
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 zucchini, peeled (peels reserved), roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large swedes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch kale (optional)
- Fresh thyme & parsley for garnish (optional)
- Place whole The Bare Bird chicken in crockpot and cook on low for 7–10 hours.
- Pick chicken meat from bones, reserve meat, strain broth into glass container. Alternatively, use chicken meat after creating chicken bone broth (recipe above).
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large stockpot or casserole dish over medium–high heat. Add chopped zucchini (except peels) and sauté, stirring frequently for about 5 mins until tender and lightly browned.
- Remove zucchini from heat and transfer into blender with 1 cup chicken bone broth and salt. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in pan over medium–high heat and sauté onion 5–7 mins until browned.
- Add swede, celery and carrots and stir to mix through, than add thyme.
- Add zucchini-broth purée to pan and reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until vegies begin to soften.
- Add chicken, green beans, zucchini peels (zoodles) and kale (if using) to pan, stir through, cover and cook for 8–10 mins, or until beans are tender and kale has wilted.
- Remove thyme sprigs before serving and top with additional fresh thyme or parsley if desired.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with a generous drizzle of olive oil or some sliced avocado if desired.
Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 whole The Bare Bird chicken
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2–3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2–3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Filtered water
- Additional chicken parts: feet, necks, wings
- 1 tsp peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1–2 sprigs fresh or dried rosemary
- 1–2 sprigs fresh or dried thyme
- Place all ingredients in large stockpot (preferably 6L or more in capacity) and fill with filtered water until The Bare Bird chicken is just submerged. Cover and bring to boil.
- Skim off any foam from surface and reduce heat to gentle simmer with lid slightly ajar for 1 hr.
- After 1 hr, carefully remove whole chicken (if necessary use a meat thermometer to check if it is cooked through), set aside to cool slightly. Continue to simmer vegies in liquid.
- Once chicken has cooled enough to handle safely, reserve meat and place bones, carcass, joints and cartilage back into pan. Utilise meat for hearty chicken stew (recipe below).
- Adjust heat and simmer remaining broth with lid removed for another 2–3 hrs to yield rich, golden broth.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly and strain through fine sieve into large jars or glass containers. Place in fridge to cool completely.
- Once cooled, a layer of fat will solidify on top. Either scoop it off (store in fridge for up to 1 week) and cook with it, or leave in broth when reheating for added flavour and nutrition.
- Store sealed broth in fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Oven Chicken Roast Thigh Fillet with Port & Pears
These cosy pan-roasted chicken thighs with port and pears are the perfect autumn fare and work especially well paired with a robust red wine and a crusty baguette.
- 2 pears, halved
- 200mL port
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Few sprigs thyme
- 200mL chicken stock
- 1 tsp crushed pink peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place pears, port and brown sugar in bowl.
- Stir to ensure pears are well covered. Set aside until ready to use.
- Season The Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets well with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in ovenproof pan or casserole dish over high heat and cook chicken, turning occasionally, for about 5 mins or until golden.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Remove pears from port mixture, and in the same pan, cook pears, cut side down, for 1 min, then add onion, garlic, thyme, port mixture, stock and crushed pink peppercorns, and bring to boil.
- Replace chicken in pan and toss through. Place in oven and cook for 25–30 mins or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened. The pears should be tender but still have a bit of bite to them.
- Serve with fresh bread and a bottle of good robust wine.
For more information visit thebarebird.com.au
The Bare Bird Chicken share their Southern Fried Tenders with Gochujang Hot Mayo Dipping Sauce recipe and more
The Bare Bird share three healthy and delicious recipes like an Open Chicken Sandwich and Southern Fried Tenders with Gochujang...
Sponsor Recipes: Pearl River Bridge share four healthy recipes
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce.