Build Your Own Tacos
Kid’s generally love it when they can take an active role in what they are eating. The presentation of this meal allows them to choose their toppings and the order they will add it. The list of ingredients looks long, but it is simple to prepare and a crowd-pleasing, no-fuss dinner.
Build Your Own Tacos
Get your kid’s involved in the building of these tacos, they’ll love it!
- 300g chicken breast, fish or tofu/tempeh, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coriander stalks & leaves, chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups shredded leafy greens
- ¾–1 cup grated cheese of choice
- 1 small brown onion, sliced
- 1 small red capsicum, sliced
- ½ yellow capsicum, sliced
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- Place chicken (or protein of choice) in a bowl.
- Combine lime juice, cumin, oregano, oil, salt and coriander in a glass or small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour mix over chicken or protein and stir to coat. Place in fridge and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa and other sides, as cooking protein component at the end will be quite quick.
- Place tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a small bowl and mash together with a fork. Taste, and add a little extra lemon juice if required. Set aside.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over avocado and set aside.
- Place greens and cheese in separate bowls and set aside.
- Add onion to frypan with a little oil and sauté until softened.
- Add red and yellow capsicum and cook for 1 minute, then transfer mix to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add chicken or protein of your choice.
- Cook for around 5 mins, turning to ensure it is cooked through.
- Add capsicum mix back to pan and cook just to warm through.
- Transfer mix to a serving bowl.
- Heat tortillas in frypan or oven as directed and place on serving plate.
- Serve the meal laid out on the table in separate bowls, allowing each person to build their own taco.