Coconut Ceviche Fish with Sweet Potato Puree
This is my take on the Fijian raw fish dish called kokoda. The marinated fish is often served with a chunk of steamed sweet potato, but I like the texture contrast of a smooth purée with the tangy fish and fresh herbs. Served with some quality corn chips or tortilla chips on the side for scooping, it’s fantastic!
- 300g fresh snapper fillet, skin & bones removed
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 500g sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- ¼ red onion, very finely diced
- ½ green capsicum, very finely diced
- 1 very ripe tomato, very finely diced
- 200mL coconut milk, plus 2 tbsp extra
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bunch coriander, leaves picked
- Corn chips or tortilla chips, to serve (not pictured)
- Slice snapper fillet into 2–3cm cubes. Place in glass or ceramic container with lid and add lime juice and lemon juice. Mix well and put in fridge with lid on for 4 hours, or overnight. Stir every hour or so for first 4 hours to make sure each piece of fish is properly marinated. It should be completely white with no clear bits when done.
- About 1 hour before serving, place sweet potato in medium saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring to boil over high heat and cook for 10 mins until very tender. Drain and mash with extra 2 tbsp coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Drain fish from marinated liquid and place in mixing bowl. Add onion, capsicum, tomato and coconut milk and gently mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spread some sweet potato puree on plates, top with fish and garnish with coriander. Use corn chips to scoop up mixture.
Serves: 4 as a starter
Get to know David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl from Green Kitchen Stories
David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl are the Scandinavian duo at the helm of Green Kitchen Stories. Their simple, healthy and...
Niulife Vegan Fysh Sauce — Kokonut Pacific
With the same great taste, this plant-powered seasoning is a deliciously healthy alternative to fish sauce.
Toasted macadamia muesli with cranberry
Recently awarded a Gold Medal at the Royal Hobart Fine Food Show, this gourmet muesli is preservative-free and baked in...
Gluten-free macadamia muesli with cranberry
This oven-baked gluten-free muesli combines antioxidant-rich cranberries with the crunchy texture of macadamias, protein-rich quinoa, Australian gluten-free grains and brans....